Tupina

[Tupinambis] - Admin Re-application

Post by Tupina »

BYOND ckey: Tupinambis
Character name: Lambda Xi-Nu/Archibald Gregowski
Discord username (+user id): Tupina#1837
How long have you played on Citadel?: About a year and a half
How long have you played SS13?: About 2 years
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: CST / Daytime with erratic playtimes. Probably mid day and evening.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Two months moderator for Citadel, a few weeks as admin candidate on TGMC, generally well liked there.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: N/A
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: N/A
Reason for application: Citadel has serious problem because of its current playerbase, the overall atmosphere, and a lack of that "MRP" that the server advertises. Rules are not consistently enforced, or at least enforced as heavily as they should be, and this has also resulted in a lower overall quality in rounds. The main solutions to these problems lie at the hands of administrators, which has been a fairly disorganized and messy group that bears little consistency or consensus on most issues, and lacks robust leadership. That's part of why I quit in the first place. However, I believe I can at least do SOMETHING to help curb the tide, and incite positive change on the server, even if that is simple as handing out bwoinks and bans to problem players, rewarding good behavior, and doing what I can to make the game and the rounds within it enjoyable, and hopefully fun and entertaining. With admin powers, that would include some fun and unique events.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

Generally the best way to handle this is to just kindly ask them to stop in OOC. If they don't, as it sometimes happens, i'd private message each of them to stop. If it continues, I'd hand out temporary OOC mutes to keep the chat clean. I feel like OOC global mutes are currently overused, and should only be reserved for if it becomes a whole mess.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

If an admin is directly involved in a situation that isn't a blatant and serious violation of the rules, they should always defer whatever issue they have to another admin, whether that be by ahelping, achatting, or calling for help in discord. Admins should avoid bias at all costs.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

This all depends on the context of the situation, the intent of the player, how severe the violation was, and the players history, in terms of previous bans/notes. When juggling all of these things, it can be difficult to find the right punishment, but in general, punishments should be used as a way of improving the overall quality of the server, and an admin should consider how a punishment may or may not contribute towards that goal.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

If they don't feel up to adminning, they probably shouldn't, and if they are playing an important role such as security, command, or an antagonist, while the gamemode is secret, or midround antags have rolled. If it's just extended and nothing much is happening, it's probably fine to admin even as sec/command.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

Follow admin policy, enforce the rules fairly, don't hold bias, don't be a dick. Most importantly of all though, do your best to make the server the best it can be.

Trojan_Coyote

Re: [Tupinambis] - Admin Re-application

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

The way you talk about staff on a /staff application/ does not inspire confidence and shows a lack of possible teamwork and respect, both of which are pretty crucial in near any job situation.-1

Tupina

Post by Tupina »

Trojan_Coyote wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:20 pm
The way you talk about staff on a /staff application/ does not inspire confidence and shows a lack of possible teamwork and respect, both of which are pretty crucial in near any job situation.-1
It's important to acknowledge the flaws with the admin team that do exist, because with my experience on and off the staff team, it generally did feel like teamwork was lacking. It's something I want more of. It can often feel like every admin does there own thing. I don't want to imply that staff don't communicate, interact, and work together to some extent, but that doesn't always translate into practice. I tend to be blunt about flaws in things, because you have to face problems to fix them.

Fractious

Post by Fractious »

Hi there Tupina, I see that you made a second application after your resignal.

I'm surprised about the reason you provided about your resignal. When you left the admin team, you said you left due to "IRL stress" and to focus on yourself. Now that you came back you finally mention that you actually left due to disliking the way the admin team state. I find it quite bothersome how you're qualifying the admin team. Knowing that you left the team due to being unhappy about the state and how it is administered simply makes me even more worried honestly. From what I understand you basically left the team due to and joined the "Admin man bad" wagon.

To add on top of it, I also believe you're one of the players who complain the most every single times things don't go your way, which is often seen both in game and out of character. Either whenever you die as antagonist/crew or when arguing with others on how to play the game.

I'm sorry, but I can't see myself to supporting this application. Knowing that you left the team in the first place due to being upset of how it is administered simply doesn't inspire me confidence. You're also literally blaming the admins for "Not enforcing the rules consistently" and are saying that this as "lowered the overall quality in rounds". I'm sorry, but that's a -1 for me.

Best of luck,
Fractious
Just try your best, and worse case scenario you will fail and learn.

Tupina

Post by Tupina »

Fractious wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:13 am

I'm surprised about the reason you provided about your resignal. When you left the admin team, you said you left due to "IRL stress" and to focus on yourself. Now that you came back you finally mention that you actually left due to disliking the way the admin team state. I find it quite bothersome how you're qualifying the admin team. Knowing that you left the team due to being unhappy about the state and how it is administered simply makes me even more worried honestly. From what I understand you basically left the team due to and joined the "Admin man bad" wagon.
The IRL stress was a very real reason. the frustrations I did have with the staff even at the time just nudged me farther towards quitting, and the stress caused me to be unable to properly and professionally handle my position. I believe I am capable of doing so once again, but my problems with administration aren't new. I've had my frustrations even when I was a mod. The reality is not much changed, I am just willing to be vocal about the flaws I see, because I want to help fix them.

I don't think it's fair to deny an application purely on the basis that I have criticisms of how things are currently run. That doesn't seem conducive to improving the server. If the current state of main is what the staff generally agree is what they want main to be? Sure, i'll concede to that, but when I do talk to individual staff members the general gist I get, is that staff want higher player standards, even if from the outside it feels not much action is being taken.

deathride58

Post by deathride58 »

I'm not even sure why you're trying. From constantly shittalking the community and its staff (even in this application!), to your constant argumentative behavior in Discord, and more.
You also do yourself no favors at all with your constant shittalk of me over the past two weeks, shittalk that's continuing to escalate. Your choice to spam ping me over a petty thing also doesn't help matters at all. Like yeah man, let's straight-up harass one of the head admins while I'm trying to get back into the staff team, that'll massively improve my chances at getting it accepted!
And don't even try to pull the "It's just criticism!!!!!" shit, blatant toxicity is not criticism. You wanna know how to do criticism well? Take a look at how Ghommie does it. Learn how to actually analyze things that you like/don't like, and figure out the exact reasons you like/don't like those things, then you'll find that your criticism becomes genuinely constructive as a result.
Besides your kinks, I don't see any positive qualities in you at all. The only thing I see as it stands right now is a candidate for QC.

Your grave's already pretty deep, but if you could just put the shovel down and work on your behavior, you'd maybe have a chance. But as things currently are, your toxicity is far too significant for your application to even be considered. Please, work on yourself before you make another offer to work with us.

Any other staff member may close/deny this application if they wish. Even moderators. But I will not be the one to pull that trigger.

Tupina

Post by Tupina »

deathride58 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:11 pm
I'm not even sure why you're trying. From constantly "shittalking" the community and its staff (even in this application!), to your constant argumentative behavior in Discord, and more... You also do yourself no favors at all with your constant shittalk of me over the past two weeks, shittalk that's continuing to escalate. Your choice to spam ping me over a petty thing also doesn't help matters at all. Like yeah man, let's straight-up "harass" one of the head admins while I'm trying to get back into the staff team, that'll massively improve my chances at getting it accepted!
And don't even try to pull the "It's just criticism!!!!!" shit, blatant toxicity is not criticism...
Besides your kinks, I don't see any positive qualities in you at all. The only thing I see as it stands right now is a candidate for QC.
I am going to be completely honest Bhijn. I am not trying to be toxic, I AM trying to criticize. Any toxicity you perceive is actually a result of my own criticism, as well as the criticism of MANY players going completely ignored. People will get louder if they feel like they aren't being heard. Now, calling me toxic is admittedly a really easy way to deflect criticism, I will say that, but that doesn't solve the problems that the server has. At this point, it's a matter of me genuinely wanting to help, and as a team, you not wanting me to help, because I am not what you are evidently looking for.

The worst part I feel of this, what is essentially denying my app without actually pulling the trigger, is that you decide to close out by shitting on me. Saying I have "no positive qualities besides my kinks" is a really fucking shitty thing to say to a player, especially as a headmin, and feels overly personal (that applies to this entire post actually). I would expect a head admin to be at least polite and professional in this situation, but as has been seemingly a theme as of late, that is not the case. I am pretty much 100% sure I will not convince anyone to change their mind on me, at least not now, but I want the admin team to seriously think about WHY so many people seem so distrustful and upset with the admin team, some members more than others. And yes, a major part of that is the fact the team is rude and often dismissive of player issues. Admins should never flaunt how many "shitty" complaints they've gotten. The admin team needs a hell of a lot more "QC" than they seem to believe, and I will just leave with that. PLEASE for the good of the server, and your own sakes, look inward for once instead of outward.

BlackMajor

Post by BlackMajor »

That's a no from me.