Trilby The Maintainer.

Trilby Space Clone

Trilby The Maintainer.

Post by Trilby Space Clone »

Experience with Github: Almost 500 PRs( I do note a good 30~ are not for Cit but still around Tg/Eris code) + my first pr on Jun 26, 2018 So 1 year of coding knowing
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
Experience with BYOND: I know map-merger, how to local test and other tools/spriting options. I have a good understand on how Dreammaker works and properly code working things as well as being able to test them.

Experience with SS13: 4-5~ years, I understand almost everything but, complex viro as well as Fermi chems

Experience on Citadel?(Main/RP): I could have sworn I've been here for 4 years. So that is what I'm going with.

Why do you feel like you'd make a good maintainer?:
Well, I have been really invested in the game and the playerbase around SS13, I have read and understand the basics of "What we do to merge things"
I.e the 1 day wait, and if a different maintainer requests changes to not merge it without a fix/consent from said maintainer.
Arguably have a ok scene of balance when it comes to powercreep and actively try to keep things within bounds
I will make it a point to not self merge things that are additions or tweaks to the game, well keeping what I do feel are fixs and grammar corrections with a week grace, as well as with consent from a different maintainer. This is to ensure the of additions in to a game I love that will be harmful, or unchecked power can be stopped and pointed out. I plan to NEVER self merge anything that is not A) Grammar only or B) Simple tested fixes after letting the PR sit for at lest a week and with consent from a fellow maintainer.
The reason to make this App is to simple help with the overflowing amounts of Prs on main - As for RP I shall not touch do to not knowing the balance.
At this time for only really one active maintainer to handle well over 100+ prs and maintain different code bases is nothing more then overloading one person. We should perhaps make a few more people be able to handle the small stuff well letting headmins be able to commit on Prs that are controversial
[Edit small grammar + Stronger wording]

SleepyCatto

Re: Trilby The Maintainer.

Post by SleepyCatto »

Hello!

I thought I’d write an analysis of Lilly’s contributions as I felt like there are some areas that should be pointed out, and indeed cannot be pointed out as a first party.

First of all, I’d like to call attention to the volume of PRs made by Lilly just over the last year; 359, that is almost a PR for each day. That is nuts. She has, by far and away, been one of the biggest contributors to citadel, if not the biggest. She made more PRs than Kevinz000 (abeit, just; with her 359 vs 349) or Pooj (359 vs 339) (this isn’t a callout, just a comparison to other active and important contributors to citadel to show the weight of her contributions.) From these numbers we can reasonably conclude that she is willing to put in the effort to code for citadel, and indeed knows how to code.

She has also contributed to a lot of the local flavour found on cit; cakes, defib disks, contributions to botany, sushi to name a few. She has demonstrable experience in putting up fixes from issues that arise. She has a provable willingness to work with people from the conversations, and collaborations in her PRs.

If we bring out scope beyond just the code of the game, it is reasonable to conclude that Lilly is a positive member when viewing the other evidence available to us on this very forum. Her current application to be a moderator is currently under review, which when you reduce the points to their bare numerics stands at 0. But, if we remove the -1s that cite the higher language requirements of a moderator, then it stands at a +5 at the minimum, and this is transferred to a +10 if the -1 points are flipped to a +1 from the admins that stated/indicated they would do were the situation regarding the language to improve or change (I.e. only one -1 cited reasons aside from language.)

While the ability to communicate as a maintainer is important, and her true capability to do so is beyond the scope of this analysis, the pace of the conversation on git is drastically different to a live server, and should be considered as such. People are afforded the opportunity to ask for elaboration, or for Lilly to take time to formulate a review for PRs. The onus of responsibility of merged poor grammar is on the maintainer, and it is their job for them to point it out, as such Lilly's grammar will continued to be reviewed from other maintainers. The only caveat in which this could be a problem is if a particularly text heavy PR is up for review, which is simply solved by passing the baton to another member if required, if we even assume such language problems end up being one. As such, I don’t believe that the alleged language problems are enough of a barrier for entry for this position, and even if it does prove to be a potential problem in some cases, there are viable solutions for it.

In conclusion, Lilly has shown a clear and demonstrable willingness to contribute to citadel in terms of her PRs, a willingness to work with people from the discussions of her PRs, and a palpable care for citadel in terms of her fixes and self-made content. In addition, she has provable support from admins from her character and dedication, given from her prior moderator application. For any weaknesses in her language or elocution, she has a proven heart and competence in coding to more than make up for it, and while I prefer to keep my opinions to myself in an analysis, over the course of looking into the information available it would be dishonourable of me to not give my +1 too.

geemiesif

Post by geemiesif »

I have known Lilly for years , I think they should be given a chance , their language skills have improved , they help anytime they are online with a coding or bug issue quickly and professionally. +1

MrJWhit

Post by MrJWhit »

I'm going to be honest, I'm not completely sure where I land just yet, because I don't know much about your management style and how you actually handle things. So, rather than just mulling it over in my head, I'll just ask your opinion on some various technical questions and your perspective on things that are being discussed right now.

1. Currently we have a problem with up to a 1/3rd of the players latejoining, screwing up the math for what gamemode can happen, and screwing with the amount of people for, say, nukies. What's a reasonable solution?

2. Should Air Alarms default "everything is good" color be green or blue? Why?

3. A player dies to X in a game, and then makes a PR nerfing X, is that acceptable?

4. When a radioactive item is destroyed, it creates a small amount of lag. When a large number of radioactive items are destroyed, it creates a lot of lag. How do you fix that?

5. There's a proposed armor antag armor (similar to riot suit in lack of space protection) that costs 7TC and the PR is saying that it should have 90 melee and 90 energy armor. Is that too much, too little?

As a side note, the argument of "making a bunch of pr's" never really held much water for me, it's more of an understanding of how systems interact and having the time and effort to read through everyone's code. Along with understanding the political side (i.e. a pr to remove lizards could, in theory, be reasonable, but it should never be merged due to the playerbase).

Trilby Space Clone

Post by Trilby Space Clone »

1. Currently we have a problem with up to a 1/3rd of the players latejoining, screwing up the math for what gamemode can happen, and screwing with the amount of people for, say, nukies. What's a reasonable solution?

I think the best :fix: would be to make a system were it delays round start antags by 5-10 mins well holding slots past the game start, like lets say starts with 3 nukies and 2 more slots open, it gives 2 reinforcements beacons with full spanner gear, that can be refunded if non-used. This prevents both TC loss and slot losts well not clucking the slots.
Other then that for antags that spawn with round start gear, have clockies zone have lockers that hold some gear that would increase with slots, and have the clockies that were chosen, a one time use tele hidden as a random item - Donk pocket, metal sheet, gas mask, ect ect. Or just place a slab in their bag/pocket. Just something

2. Should Air Alarms default "everything is good" color be green or blue? Why?

I think green for good air. This mimics guns, and other things that use green to red, and have been for ages. Changing it to blue is not a problem but dosn't match the over arching themes of how things are ran, like Green alarm for good Blue for possible threat, or green for no rads but yellow for threatening rads. Its hard to fine a matching, cases were blue = good.

3. A player dies to X in a game, and then makes a PR nerfing X, is that acceptable?

The PR in question is what needs review, not the person. If someone dies to a bug, like lets say takes a syringe then pulls out bone hurting juice to mistakenly inject back in, and they die. Thats a bug and if they make a pr to fix that then its good.
Well a clear salt PR should be called into question as per the intent being the problem and how its being used in game. Like lets nukies being able to glue deswords, clearly theirs a imbalance their and shouldn't be a thing, but then barring them from making a PR to limit it or such, then its to call into question why and just in it rather then questioning the person.
The whole point of a open github and open code, is that the people that care about the game and want to correct, add or fix, opening a Nerf PR no matter what will always lead to discussion, and a evaluation of what needs changing if anything. I.e BOH nerfs are not needed but, Nukies getting glue was. Both were Called Salt/I ded prs but have nothing to do with the person that made them rather then the content of the PR with the intent.

TL:DR - Is it good for the game, then yes. If its bad for game, then no. Same system we use for PRs as it stands

4. When a radioactive item is destroyed, it creates a small amount of lag. When a large number of radioactive items are destroyed, it creates a lot of lag. How do you fix that?

Locally tested this, and found that this was not a factor that makes lag. Perhaps its been fixed already by many code cleans or maybe it was never the problem. But as per all things, a maintainer is to check for verification of the issue, and fix it, same goes with runtimes and bugs.

5. There's a proposed armor antag armor (similar to riot suit in lack of space protection) that costs 7TC and the PR is saying that it should have 90 melee and 90 energy armor. Is that too much, too little?

For traitors or nukies 90 energy armor makes tasers, and dislabers useless, so that one would need to be fix. Looking at most armor that traitor can get its still way to cheap and to much armor, even being space protection less dosn't solve for combos like, space proof potions, speed potions, scooters or chem stacking. Thus I would request it to be lowerd in armor and more stats be added in like bullet, or laser rather then just making it a anti-taser/melee. All in all wouldn't merge, ask for a rethinks if no progress or refusal to compile without reason, be closed within a weeks time

MrJWhit

Post by MrJWhit »

Hm, all right, with those answers I'm willing to give a +1

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

Abstain from me for now, while you don't seem like a horrible person there's some very concerning things, not really from your github history but rather of your interactions here. Sorry.

Fractious

Post by Fractious »

Hi there, I'll be closing this app as it didn't manage to step up to the eyes of the administration and has now been up for way too long. You may re-apply at any time if you desire to.
Fractious
Just try your best, and worse case scenario you will fail and learn.