[Savotta] Moderator Application

Savotta

[Savotta] Moderator Application

Post by Savotta »

BYOND ckey: Savotta
Character name: Marie Allerton, Tess Tealsa, Alexis Campbell, Melody Yoxall, Eveline Varley
Discord username (+user id): sav#0027
Reason for application:
Hi! I know a moderator application from me out of people is probably a mind-boggling sight for most of the staff team, but I think it's about time I pushed this through and drastically changed my behavior both in and out of character. It's been around a month ever since I've last been noted.. and admittedly my track record hasn't been the best (That's a massive understatement, I have around 15 public notes and 2 temporary bans) but I'm trying to change myself for the best to no longer be a nuisance to the community and to not bog down the people that moderate and administrate it. Matter of fact, I'd rather try and aid them! In my opinion, Main still needs some more moderation, and after a year I'm pretty sure I have a semi-solid grasp of all the regulations of the server. That might sound incredibly hypocritical, but I've never exactly argued or complained too much about any of my notes or bans.. Meaning that I've broken them out of my own volition, knowing that what I was doing was wrong to a certain extent. Which is even worse, probably.. But then again, I'm very willing to change and have been trying to do so for a while now. So to put it simply, I just want to aid the server's moderation team and take a shot at changing my behavior drastically.

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

It absolutely depends on the context and how intensely the two parties are going at each other. I'd probably monitor the situation, watch how they behave with each other and step in once the conflict escalates to the two berating each other and begins to trouble other people. After all OOC or discord shouldn't be plugged up with constant, non-stop arguing. I'd tell the two parties to either drop it, take it to DMs/forums depending on the subject or dish out temporary mutes if the two continued to instigate each other (Rule 1).

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

Act appropriately. As an admin you're not above the law and you should consider yourself a normal member of the community without any reserved privileges just cause of your status. If you're the one ahelping, get another admin involved. Afterall, situations should be handled impartially and you shouldn't involve yourself as the moderation in such a matter.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

Context always matters but some of the things that should always be upheld in the handling of a situation should be: Professionalism, an admin is supposed to keep themselves calm, composed and well-spoken while handling a situation to refrain from treating a player unfairly, keep your head on your shoulders if you're handling such matters. Impartiality, you're supposed to handle everyone equally (Sort of, this depends on if the player is a repeated offender, the severity of the rule they've broken, their attitude, etc.). To put it simply, I'd base myself on how severe their offense is, the number of times they've repeated said offense and the way they went about it, along with their responses. A player that doesn't really give half a fuck about punishment is easy to spot out.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

Admins should de-admin themselves while playing roles that require their immediate attention, or when they don't plan on handling any tickets throughout the round, maybe to even avoid all the info being thrown at them while admined.. Or even if they'd just like to take a break.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

Professionalism, activity, composure, and impartiality. An admin shouldn't be an admin just cause they'd enjoy being in a position of power, an admin should be there to moderate the community, keep people in check and make the game fun (More or less, losing is part of the game and not a lot of people can't handle that very well.) for everyone. To put it simply, an admin should be a respectable member of the community that other people could look up to, they should act as an example and should find themselves neutral in most manners to handle them appropriately.

DiscordWizard

Re: [Savotta] Moderator Application

Post by DiscordWizard »

Right I'll start saying that I have a bunch of mix feelings about this but so far I think it's a good idea. All questions are answered correctly even if on the 4th one there should be a mention to deadmin if you can as an antagonist or fighting antagonists to prevent accidental metagame. About in-game behaviour, you have obviously been acting like an actual retard in the past what with airlock dips into space and other dumb sheananigans but what I've noticed is that once warned and noted about something, you stopped doing said thing, and never pushed it to the point of a major rule break atleast as far as I've seen. You've been steadily improving and you are definitely competent under the guise of absolute dumbed of ass, though I can't really be sure about the lrp behaviour because it's been a while since I've seen you in-game.
I support this mod app to see how well you do with a serious responsibility because I believe you've got potential to be a great player and a staff member.

NicoDeimos

Post by NicoDeimos »

I have to echo DW's post, while I haven't had any direct interaction with you I am aware that once told you've done something bad or wrong you are quick to realign the behavior. Also a bit iffy about needing improvement, though I've heard second-hand from others that your behavior has improved quite a bit in a short amount of time.
Moderators have much more limited tools and it would be a good way to gauge how you interact with players in a position of responsibility. Tentative +1

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

Lack of activity as of recent makes me skeptical to give the full +1 but before that you've been really good despite your discord memes.

Redtail

Post by Redtail »

You have your occasional bouts of LRpish behavior, but I've also seen you actually put effort into it. Honestly if you played clown you'd wind up as actually one of the best clowns we have on the station, in my opinion. In general I have no real complaints about your behavior in game, barring the earlier mention of LRPness. Otherwise, you're not bad at the jobs you do play, IIRC you don't have any bad-bad notes as of late and no significant thing that stands out to me that says "hell no do not sign this person on" . A pleasure to work with in game and the few times we've chatted has been agreeable enough. You're active, you're a good one (if a little too heavy on the memes). +.8, +1 if they mellowed out some more which from what I've seen of them they ARE trying, but of course, habits die hard (and sometimes a good meme can't be passed up, such as their most recent incident regarding Mario Allerton).

MrJWhit

Post by MrJWhit »

So, I don't feel like I can actually support this (if this application is even still valid).

You're a good person with a wonderful heart, and you have shaped up a lot since you joined, and you have continued through it. However, when you're upset, you don't take time away from the situation or anything that could actually help make the solution easier for everyone.

It's more this: If things go badly, do you think you would spam "FUCK YOU FUCK YOU FUCK YOU" to someone in an ahelp? Or really any vaugly official business that an admin needs to do?
What about a week from now? A month? A year? I'm not sure, and I don't feel comfortable saying it's all right, so I'm going to give you a -1 in joining staff, I'm sorry.

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Oh hey, you're the one that plays Marie. Had a blast playing with you on Main for that month in which I decided to come back to where I first started on Cit to see how things were. If you were ever a toxic stain on the community in the past, you don't seem to be that now. While far from a shining gem amongst a sea of potatoes, you're no stagnant pool or shower grime. In time I'm sure we could mold you into an admin - I'd be fine with seeing you as a trial-admin.

Fractious

Post by Fractious »

Was going to accept this application, but after interacting with Savotta via DM's they told me they weren't interested into the role anymore.

Closing this app.
Fractious
Just try your best, and worse case scenario you will fail and learn.