Tupinambis - Admin Application

Tupina

Tupinambis - Admin Application

Post by Tupina »

BYOND ckey: Tupinambis
Character name: Lambda Xi-Nu, Archibald Gregowski, Artificial Screech Intelligence
Discord username (+user id): Tupina#1837
How long have you played on Citadel?: ~2 Years
How long have you played SS13?: ~2 1/2 Years
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: CST/Variable (Reliably 6pm-12am, and all day Weekends)
Previous SS13 related admin experience: 2 months moderator on Citadel
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: N/A
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: N/A
Reason for application: I care about the server a lot, and want to see it be the best it can be. I want to see it achieve that MRP Action status that it strives to be. Truth be told, being a "backseat driver" and constantly throwing criticism is very obviously not the solution to anything, and I really want to have the opportunity to help bring about tangible improvements to the server. What the server has now is a very flawed community that results in most players not actually being happy or truly enjoying their time on the server. This is something I hate to see and experience, and I really want to contribute towards fixing.

I'll be the first to admit I have been very critical of staff to the point of being unhelpful, and I have not been the most delicate or professional, but that is absolutely something I'd fix up real quick if and when I become admin. I've been a moderator for this server before and I know what that power and responsibility entails. I really do care about this server, I have a passion for this server and have so many ideas for how to improve the experience (a lot of unique event ideas have been running through my head for a while too.) I just really want a second opportunity to help make this server the very best it can be.

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

This is a very situational issue, but generally the best thing to do is to just monitor the situation and ask the players to stop the altercation and take a breather if it escalates too far to personal insults, IC in OOC, etc. If they continue even after that it would result in temporary OOC bans and direct intervention via admin PMs.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

Simple, if an admin is involved they will naturally have bias and should therefore ask a different staff member to handle the situation. In the case that none are available at the time, it is best to just make a note of it, ping someone on discord, or make a formal admin-help so the situation can be handled at a later time. (Exception: If a violation of the rules is particularly egregious to the point of being unquestionable, ex: murderboning for literally no reason with no threats as a nonantag (grief) then it is appropriate to stop that situation as soon as possible to prevent the round from becoming unsalvageable)

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

Simple answer is: Whichever way is most likely to prevent someone from breaking the rules again with the lightest hand/punishment possible. How an admin should determine with punishment is most appropriate to accomplish that is based on a lot of factors, including how egregious, blatant, or obvious the violation was; the intent of the player in question, how much damage the violation caused to the server, round, or other players; whether or not the player has previous notes related to the violation or consistently poor behavior, how long the player has been playing, and of course the cooperation and honesty of the involved player.

In general, if a rule violation is clearly either an accident, not obvious, not malicious, or causes minimal harm to other people's experience an admin should give a warning and maybe a note over the incident. If it is particularly minor, or if someone is leaning towards violating the rules or making their offense worse it might be an even better idea to try to resolve the issue IC or through subtle message as a way to nudge the player in the right direction. Bans should be for if the offense was on the opposite end of the spectrum, of if they have reason to believe the player will learn and change nothing from a nudge or a warning.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

Dynamic complicates this, but in general if an admin is playing a crucial or high round impact roll where metaknowledge can matter a lot such as Command, Security, or Antagonists they should absolutely be deadminned. (This can also include chaplain when a cult is present.) The other situation in which an admin should deadmin is if they are in a state where they cannot admin properly (Intoxicated, Exhausted, Stressed, Etc.) or if they just don't feel like it, because nobody does their job best when they don't want to be there.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

To be fair, unbiased, and professional in all administrative activities, to set an example for players and how they should act both IC and OOC. (Ex: Don't stir drama and be a salt mine, understand that when you play command, sec, or silicon roles you are setting the example for how those roles should be played.) Consistency is also something that is important, since being inconsistent can make you seem biased or incompetent. Super-ceding ALL of that however, is that an admin is expected to not be a dick. This means don't insult people, and it means be the better man in any situation in which you are involved. It is much better to be a voice of peace, compromise, and neutralization than a voice of drama, conflict, and anger. It is important for an admin to understand the power they wield, and the perspectives of people who both have and lack that power. Players will get angry at you, they might be an asshole towards you, but it is better to listen (even if it's complete bullshit) and let them cool off than it is to rile them up. Overall, an admin needs to be the face of what the server is meant to be, and how people should behave.

HazelBailey

Re: Tupinambis - Admin Application

Post by HazelBailey »

Gonna have to give this one my -1. Think you can be way too aggro around people that dont agree with you, which isnt a great mindset for an admin.

Redtail

Post by Redtail »

I'm also going ot have to give this a -1. You've been in the "admin man bad" territory for how long? Doesn't feel right to me. You're too aggressive, and I've heard you shout repeatedly how much you hate this server. If you hate being here so much, why do you want to admin for it?

Tupina

Post by Tupina »

Raiq, what actually happened was you made me uncomfortable so I stopped really wanting to talk to you. That round with the snow situation was a separate issue and I've already admitted what I did was stupid and wrong. I've already admitted to my flaws which, if I had power to incite change I'd keep in check. I don't think you are personally trying to ruin my rounds or anything, you just tend to make me uncomfortable and annoy me. Regardless, this reply seems to veer far off course from the topic of the application and i'd rather you just submit a player complaint.

Nethaufer

Post by Nethaufer »

Raiq this is not a player complaint, if you have issues raise them in the proper place for discussion

Tupina

Post by Tupina »

To respond to the -1, I don't hate the server, I just don't like the direction it has taken, if I hated the server I wouldn't play. My aggression has been directly caused by my frustrations with the fact I have no power to actually do anything. That's why I want to be given a chance. I'm not justifying it, I absolutely should cool my shit and as admin it would be my responsibility to do so.

Vincent Airin

Post by Vincent Airin »

Given just how much you've lashed against staff as of late, I can only see more flinging and hate in admin chat before a rage fueled leave and a show of marching out of the chats. -1

bluefishtuna

Post by bluefishtuna »

not staff but -1 if someone had complaint against a possible admin's behavior after being asked to respond with criticisms and their criticisms got deleted...

Nethaufer

Post by Nethaufer »

bluefishtuna wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:33 pm
not staff but -1 if someone had complaint against a possible admin's behavior after being asked to respond with criticisms and their criticisms got deleted...
The criticisms were better off being in a proper complaint so that the actual app doesn't get drowned out. Admin apps do not get judged wholly off by what's posted in it, complaints open, resolved, created during the life of the application are taken into account.

An admin app is not the place to properly discuss complaints to the extent that Raiq posted.

BlackMajor

Post by BlackMajor »

This thread is a yikes.

I'm just going to be direct with my response. No.

You don't really come into staff topics with the right mindset, and are often quick to emotions. You were staff previously, and left on terms that were a little less than graceful. After leaving staff, you had a long state of, to parrot an old meme, "Admin man bad" a lot. Kinda sours the idea that you're wanting to come back to staffing with the best intents in mind.

There's a small chance that you might be wanting to come back for the better. But I'm not seeing it. And I don't think the other headmins are either.