[Tupinambis] - Admin Application

Tupina

[Tupinambis] - Admin Application

Post by Tupina »

BYOND ckey: Tupinambis
Character name: Jean-Luc Jenkins, Archibald Gregowski, Lambda Xi-Nu, NTRF Announcement System and more.
Discord username (+user id): Tupina#1837
How long have you played on Citadel?: ~1 2/3 Years
How long have you played SS13?: ~2 1/2 Years
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: CST/Tue,Thu,Sat,Sun Anytime. Mon,Wed,Fri Afternoon and Late Evening.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: ~2 Months as Moderator on Citadel. ~1 Month Trial Admin on TGMC (Stepped down due to health issues)
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: N/A
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: N/A
Reason for application: I am passionate about the server, and I want to channel that passion into action that can help make it better, even if just by a little bit. I think I've improved a lot when it comes to interacting with the administration overall, and conversations I've had have certainly become much more productive because of it. I want to work with the team, and I want to help with the big changes that are coming soon to the server.

Beyond that, there are generally not enough admins to handle the high populations that the server regularly receives, and I want to help alleviate that pressure even if just by a little bit. I'd also like to hold little events and fun bits to make rounds more interesting and memorable, and overall do what I can to make the server an enjoyable place to be.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

Firstly I'd warn the two players to cut it out or take it to DMs. If they continued I'd apply a temporary OOC ban and possibly a note. If they kept going even after that, it may warrant a long term OOC ban or even a separate note/ban for continuously ignoring my warnings.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

No matter what the situation is, an admin should always shoot an ahelp or notify staff through discord about the situation they are involved in instead of handling it themselves. Being involved tends to mean being biased, and it's always better to get an impartial judge involved. The only exception to this would be if no admins are available, and there is a blatant example of griefing that could ruin the round if not addressed quickly.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

Step 1: Read the Punishment Policy. Step 2 is to then attempt to use the minimum amount of force an admin believes necessary to ensure a player that breaks the rules learns from their mistake and does not repeat it. An admin should also consider the players impact on other players and the round as a whole when considering the punishment, and what they believe would prevent any negative impacts to other players (If Applicable) in the future. If a player has clear and malicious intent towards other players, a ban is more than likely necessary (but you should still never jump to conclusions.) In general, try a warning first, if that isn't or likely won't be sufficient, add a note, then escalate to a selective or temporary ban, then escalate to a perma. Perma really should only be applied on a player the community would most likely be better off without, and is not something that should be taken lightly.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

If they are an antag, security, head of staff, or any other round vital role where meta information could be powerful, admins should always de-admin. If an admin does not believe they'd do a sufficient or good job as an admin, whether that be sickness, intoxication, or otherwise they should de-admin, and if there are plenty of admins already on line and they just want to play, that is also a fair reason to de-admin.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

An admin is expected to perform their duties as admin to the best of their abilities. They should be impartial and fair when it comes to administrative issues. They should obviously communicate with each other and work as a team to make sure everyone is on the same page. And most importantly, admins always should be honest, courteous, respectful, and most of all, should be kind.

At the end of the day, an admin is expected to do what they can to make the server a better place, and there are many different ways to achieve that goal. What matters is that they set a good example for the server as a whole.

MrJWhit

Re: [Tupinambis] - Admin Application

Post by MrJWhit »

Since Tupina's last application, they have cooled down significantly and became a lot more focused on moving forward with the game and the gameplay. I've had plenty of conversations about the server, maps, and items with Tup and within the past few months and they have been a genuine joy to have.

Along with the fact that Tup is wonderful to interact with in-character, but I consider that somewhat perpendicular to being a good admin.

So, I'm more than happy to give a +1 at the moment.

Trojan_Coyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

Based on your last application, and previous interaction, along with no recent knowledge of your temperment, i'm going to abstain from voting on this.

Redtail

Post by Redtail »

Our IC interactions are effectively nonexistent due to our OOC positions and demeanors to eachother have put us at near complete odds with eachother, and you’ve expressed significant disdain towards my adminship in general in the past. However, you’ve mellowed out and not gone on a massive admin-man bad rant in ages, since around about your last application. I disagree with your opinions on a lot of things and about the only, /only/ thing we’ve managed to agree on that we’ve even ever discussed was the bloodsucker antag. However, you did explicitly seek me out to tell me to look over your application, and that’s what I’m doing. Your answers to the questions are fair and justifiable with how open ended they are, and they hit most of the satisfactory points. In game the only thing we’ve had to yell at you , adminwise, was your penchant for leaving the round as an important role (AI) when the round wasn’t satisfactory to your liking. A relatively minor thing to yell about in the grand scheme of things, and certainly understandable to dislike specific roundtypes.

Additionally, in general, you express opinions ranging from pushing for roleplay heavily, and flip-flopping to some of the most valid-hungry speak I’ve seen from a lot of folks. Not a mark against you, just, observing behavior I’ve witnessed personally. Hell, I’m sure you’d say the same thing about me in that regards.

Either way, I give this a strong ~+.5. Our opinions differ on a lot of things, you’ve mellowed out on the admin-man bad train, and haven’t been a real problematic player from an adminship standpoint even if our mindsets set us up to an extreme dichotomy between eachother. Your answers are fair, and our differences are objectively minor when looked at from afar, and your behavior barring a few minor issues are definitely not problematic.

derkuleen

Post by derkuleen »

Im too biased.
I like Tupina as a person despite the fact sometimes i find him frustratingly persistent on certain issues. That being said it would be good to have more staff especially staff that is so passionately interested in the well being and long term well being of the server. Whats more, I feel it would be mutually beneficial to show some of these players that often or loudly cry 'admin bad' exactly what goes in the background. A change of opinions is always helpful and while the admin hive mind is definitely divided on some issues a new voice often helps.

either way, since i declared bias im not confident giving it a +1 or -1.

SectoidDan

Post by SectoidDan »

Unfortunately I do not believe your addition to the admin team would produce a net positive result for the server or community.

Tupina

Post by Tupina »

Sectoid, I'd like an explanation as to why I wouldn't be a positive addition in your opinion. I can't work on a specific issue I might have if I don't know what said issue is.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Unfortunately, I think you'd cause a lot of friction with the rest of the admin team. You've been part of the "admin man bad" crowd for a while now, and just about every time Ive seen you bwoinked, I've seen you be fairly argumentive, even if it's not even you that's in trouble, which isnt how I think an admin should conduct themselves. As a result, Im gonna give this a firm -1.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

I'm technically no longer staff but I'm responding on every app anyways.
You need to handle yourself better before getting staff again. Your public response to criticism is pretty extreme/ridiculous and certain actions including a specific round where you responded to OOC salt with something along the lines of doing a murderbone to relieve stress just, puts the wrong taste in my mouth. To be entirely blunt there's some people who aren't even worth arguing with but if I see someone treating other people like that category instead of just the abhorrent people who can't listen to reason there's issues. There's some things you do that make me feel like you're going to push everything in the wrong direction at the end of the day. Sorry.

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Nah. Tupina I don't even know you, but I've seen the drivel you smear in the Discord from time to time. Maybe I don't know the full story, and maybe I'm misinterpreting what you're saying at times (which I doubt), but ya seem to be quite hate filled. Kevinz and Hazel got things down pat - this is going to be a pass from me.