[detectivegoogle] Main Admin Application

raiq

Re: [detectivegoogle] Main Admin Application

Post by raiq »

Detective Google wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:32 pm
Generally I dislike responding on applications such as this because I feel most- if not all are incapable of thinking they're wrong, but, I suppose I must.

The main problem here is the separation of "work" and "play", I definitely shitpost and joke around and peanut in a manner unbefitting someone representing the server when I have no obligation otherwise, I'm sure if most of us acted as though we do online where our bosses could see it would be more than a little odd, especially in a service job.

I'm also sure as admins you face plenty of cases where you have to put the "big boy" pants on and put the "customer service smile" on your face, and deal with someone who is less than wonderful in a fair and polite manner.

What I'd propose in light of this, is that I perhaps haven't given admins a good look at the more professional behavior I am capable and willing to display when it's necessary, rather than just being some random player on a server, To assuage this issue I've finally stopped putting off asking for the mentor role and hope to fulfill it in a way satisfying to those requiring help, admins, and myself, as well as providing some of my experience with the game's mechanics to newer or less knowledgeable players.

In terms of grudging and metafriending, I truly deny both, my best "friends" so to speak on the server are staff or retired staff and are part of the reason I've been so interested in joining the staff and contributing to something I think they're doing a wonderful job with. I have definitely had some conflicts with people, everyone has, and I know some admins have had issues with people holding their ERP against them as a weapon of sorts, which perhaps can explain- if not excuse my reason for holding some people with distaste. However. I do not, and will not hold this against anyone in game, at any time. The way I treat out of character conflicts is by acting as though the people who play these characters have not met, and at best have gotten second hand knowledge by word of mouth of others, I find this "groundhog day" way of approaching such things works best as as I stated in my application, the best way to settle a conflict is to separate it's participants, and I don't exclude myself from this, while it's possible to put on a fake face and treat people in a way that excludes your personal judgement doing so is stressful and I avoid it when not required, is my solution the best way? obviously not. does it keep me from acting in a way that would disparage other players in game based on prior incidents? It does. I can definitely be a bit more civil with discussions with people which I have had issues with prior, if that is what is required, perhaps that is on me for being a bit too direct.

For those who do not want to read a rather lengthy response, TLDR;
Work =/= Play
I apologize for the interruption, and shall let you return to your posting.
You went from being super nice and hanging out ICly and even talking OOCly to being an absolute asshole to me and outright lying about me carrying around boxing gloves/spreading rumors of stuff you only heard through the forums about me after I literally stood outside your door and barked a few times one shift and that annoyed you. I had at that point done absolutely nothing personal against you, but the people you were hanging out with, the little metacircle that you surround yourself with ICly and OOCly (You all joined the discord around 20th of December) has done absolutely nothing but attack anyone in a hivemind like fashion that you dislike. Your behavior on the discord towards me has been insanely hostile to the point you've been kicked off of it (along with me) for downright instigating arguments.

You literally say " and at best have gotten second hand knowledge by word of mouth of others, " yet you've treated me, personally, like absolute dogshit with situations that had absolutely nothing to do with you. You seek, ICly and OOCly, reasons to stir up conflict with those you dislike/me. Every time I've reported this behavior (which has been consistent since your group joined) I have been told by two separate headmins that you're being watched and well known for grudge/dick behavior towards people.

So yes, there absolutely is a metagrudge based on word of mouth, seeing as at least ICly, I've not had any major issues with you, yet you still treat me like dogshit IC and OOCly.

Detective Google

Post by Detective Google »

For those who are wondering, I will provide some context as to the "Group" I have been associated with.

First, a brief summary detailing where I came from in terms of SS13.
    I started off at goonstation in December of 2018, having finally decided to give the game I'd seen mandalore play a shot, I enjoyed it thoroughly, and after a while of playing there I wanted to branch out and try new servers. By this point I'd been watching BPL's videos and wanted to try TGstation, enjoyed my time there and played until recently.
    Now, rather than the "all chaos all the time" bagil server TG is better known for, my time there was more spent on the Sybil server, I learned a lot about the game during the routine 6hour and sometimes even longer rounds we'd have in the morning, to the point where I gained an appreciable mastery at most aspects of the game.
    However, there's only so much time you can spend doing the same jobs over and over again, and as many of you may know the game runs out of "game" at around 1:30 to 2 hours unless you've got some other project to satisfy yourself, and to be quite honest I had run out of projects.
    About this time someone from tg; a player who had helped me get into the game, said they were coding for a new lowpop server called "Hyperstation" (yes I know, trust me I would not have gone here knowing from the get-go what it was like.) I came over a bit, hung out, enjoyed the place and eventually ended up staying. I generally contributed where I could here but the atmosphere of the server could best be described in my eyes as purely toxic, and I believe the lack of a shared ban-list was the downfall of much of it's decency. During my time at Hyper Redtail actually joined their discord, and was immedietly lambasted with hate, "go die", etc, they became an admin on hyper and despite their efforts weren't given the tools to effectively do much work, and became less and less common. At this point; and realizing that Hyper seemed to be a refuge for banned citadel players, I decided to come to the root, I'd known kevinz vaguely from my coding endeavors on tg, and I generally strove to follow Redtail's example as a new player here as they're someone I respect.

In short; I had eventually convinced some of the people I knew to be more upstanding from Hyperstation to try citadel out with me, most of them stayed. I've found this to be a much more positive community, despite it's own faults.

To those that have played hyperstation, you will know they are a lot, LOT more lax on their restrictions on sexual content, and that has left me with some prejudice I suppose against certain behaviors, which I have been trying to break over time (examples being the naked man bad argument, consider why I might dislike nudity when a large portion if not a majority of people refuse to wear clothes.) I've had some less-than-ideal circumstances dealing with OOC consent there as well, and overall it's taken a lot of effort to once again become more accepting of this type of content, I believe I'm improving.

To address Raiq directly, I'm honestly well and thoroughly attempting to avoid you wherest I can, yes I gave you a nice attitude when we first met, I had no reason to do anything else, but what I have little tolerance for, is your concept of boundaries.
    I will not interact with someone who;
    goes behind my back and gloats about ERPing to other people(coming from a retired staff member.)
    invites themselves into scenes that they have not been asked to join and have been made clear they are not welcome in.
    actively attempts to disturb scenes when they are excluded from them.(on separate occasion to prior.)
    has done some things that I'm not comfortable with in a scene.( knocking a character out and dragging them into a dorms, attempting to bolt it and narrowly being prevented. This is where the boxing gloves comment comes from. This comes from my character, not the forums.)
    Since, I've implemented my policy of avoidance, I have applied a block on discord, I have been working to make sure I don't join any arguments you're involved in, and I do my best to simply pretend my characters have not met yours and separate them where possible. Overall I'd just ask you leave me alone. I'm tired of the manipulation, I'm tired of all of this. If you could just do your best and hold an end of leaving me alone I'd be grateful.

Putnam

Post by Putnam »

I'm not worried about the group thing or whatever. Like I said, I suspected friending or grudging.

I just think that that was too recent to trust like that. No more incidents like that for a couple months and I think it might be fine. I can't really say "not enough playtime" cause it's not like I was here for more than a few months before applying, but situations like that so recently makes me super wary.

Detective Google

Post by Detective Google »

Putnam wrote:
    Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:54 pm
    I'm not worried about the group thing or whatever. Like I said, I suspected friending or grudging.

I just think that that was too recent to trust like that. No more incidents like that for a couple months and I think it might be fine. I can't really say "not enough playtime" cause it's not like I was here for more than a few months before applying, but situations like that so recently makes me super wary.
    Overall despite initial impressions I'd still be ready to take up the mantle whenever asked, I do believe there's a lot of potential here and I'd hope I can do a good job in bringing it forth.

DeltaFire

Post by DeltaFire »

Looking at putnams concerns aswell as my perception of you, I sadly don't think I can support this application. -1.

NicoDeimos

Post by NicoDeimos »

Due to a recent incident wherein you murdered another player for being annoying, a direct violation of our written rules, I cannot support this app at this time. Regardless of context (they were allegedly also breaking a rule) issues like these should not be met with rulebreaking to 'solve', even just taking matters into your own hands and beating people into crit to throw them out is ridiculously low-rp and poor escalation, rather than using non-lethal means (of which you had access) or even letting security actually do their job. Or if the person was being genuinely malicious or creepy it should have been ahelped.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

Hello Google, after some thought, I'm going to move your application to denied for now. Once you've had more time to let staff see an improvement in behavior, feel free to apply again.