[detectivegoogle] Main Admin Application

Detective Google

[detectivegoogle] Main Admin Application

Post by Detective Google »

BYOND ckey: detectivegoogle (Detective Google)

Character name: Alisya Smirnov/Alivia Woodward/Angel/some others I rarely play

Discord username (+user id): Detective Google#2125 (254346713240829953)

How long have you played on Citadel?: I wanna say a solid month or two.

How long have you played SS13?: Joined in December 2018

What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: Generally on afternoon to late night during my timezone (US Central)

Previous SS13 related admin experience: I've gotten a pretty good grip on most admin tools from testing things whilst coding/helping with a small private server

Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: lots of Gmod stuff, a smattering of different RP servers, a bit of hosting.

Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Redtail said "it's not a no" but that's not really an endorsement.

Reason for application: I originally started playing on /tg/, which as most of you know is a lrp/nrp hell environment, later was... "dragged" to hyperstation by some pals, where Redtail and Kevinz got me over to cit, which I feel has a lot of potential compared to a lot of the other ss13 server's I've played, hopefully I'll be able to contribute to that potential.

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
In general, the best way to solve a dispute is to separate the people involved, in game this can be done through a variety of manners, from little things like admin PMing people about the situation, to physically separating players or muting them from dsay or OOC, or if it really becomes necessary kicks and "cool-down" bans are invaluable, overall separating people when they're not done arguing is going to turn their ire towards you as well, but in my experience the best way to stop an argument is to simply not allow facilitation of one in the first place.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
One of the first things I learned adminning Gmod is; admin sits suck, bad. You're asking to end up with liars on both sides- whether by malicious action or heat of the moment, when I have something brought to my attention, my first step is giving the person making the report the positive confirmation- something as little as "im looking into it, thanks" can really do wonders for the person submitting a complaint. Step 2 of this process is watching the player the complaint is about, this can best be done with stealthmin etc. Personally in the past I enjoyed pulling up the logs of the situation whilst I looked into it, ideally you can get a good idea of how someone's playing while you get the facts about the situation. The third part is to contact the "offender", let them know what's going on and ask them what you need to know- this is a good place to use those logs from earlier, it'll be much more obvious if they're trying to lie to you this way. In a situation, of course, the person filing the report is not always innocent and also needs to be looked into. The final step is figuring out a punishment based on what's happened, be it a note, or a warning, et cetera. Overall players are going to resist these punishments, and it will take a calm head to explain your reasoning without falling to petty responses to rules lawyering and other irritations.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
Overall, admin punishments should be determined primarily on guidelines set by their respective server, and secondarily on intent. If someone accidentally fucks up, they're not going to be punished the same way a malicious act will, et cetera, Other factors are also of great importance, playtime, roles, past notes, are all a great resource for gauging the punishment needed for an offense.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
This may be different on Citadel, but on /tg/ admins did not admin whilst playing in almost any circumstance. The only exceptions being serious problems when no other staff are available. I highly respect this principal and would follow it myself, there is scarcely any need to be adminned during a round- especially one you are involved in, and especially especially when there are other admins capable of handling the situation- the other important factor being involvement in a ticket personally, I believe that it is unreasonable to expect someone be able to throw away their biases and judgments on a situation involving themselves, no matter how hard they may try, it is very important to contact other staff when a conflict of interest arises.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
Overall, an admin on citadel is expected to facilitate an enjoyable and engaging experience for as many players as possible, this primarily comes from weeding out people who can't follow the rather simple rules- or "QC" as some may call it, being as fair and unbalanced as possible when dealing with difficult situations, and being understanding and caring when dealing with situations, whilst not being a pushover.

Zellular

Re: [detectivegoogle] Main Admin Application

Post by Zellular »

Aside from apparently misunderstanding question two (but still giving a great answer) these answers are fairly on-point.
I've not noticed much in the way of negative impacting behaviour from you, I think you're rather sensible, even; perfect for the team and making sure that people don't feel threatened or unfairly treated.
+0.9

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

I'd be willing to support you. Like Zellular said, I think you have a good head on your shoulders, and other than misunderstanding question 2, I see nothing really wrong with this app, so you have my support

Gonna change my support due to Putnam's post. I hadn't seen that before. -1 from me.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

I hate doing this.

You're a good person but I think you need more playtime to be properly evaluated. That, and there's concerns that I agree with regarding uh, being able to back away from a heated conversation/issue to instead approach in a levelheaded way and, y'know, staying away or not involving yourself with people/things that get too on your nerves, if you know what I mean. If that can be changed you'd do good. Because admins will be dealing with that on a daily basis and it can be bad if someone can't keep their cool.

Atleast 2-3 people will seriously disagree with me here but ingame behavior is ...mostly good, so there's that.

AvaricePleonexia

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Seems everyone knows you except me. Probably cause I'm a stinky RP admin. Anyways, I really do like your answers, and I wouldn't be against seeing how you'd do as a trial admin.

Edit: I'm going to abstain from putting any support forward.

Xyverious

Post by Xyverious »

Hi, Xyverious here. I made an account just for this, so I'm going to try and be as straightforward as I can.

I myself am not exactly what I would consider game admin material, mind you, but I still want to believe that in my experiences with Google that they aren't a good fit for Admin. They escalate plenty of arguments, and are incredibly biased towards specific subjects. They respond lightning fast to highly specific PR's, and more often than not, it's to dismiss or support a niche group of individuals.
What's more, in my specific interactions with them, they have come across as what I can only describe as; a dick. That has, of course, improved over time. But taking 2 months to simply become somewhat tolerable does not sound like an achievement to me. They have never seemed, to me, in my opinion, supportive of the roleplay aspects of the server whatsoever.
I cannot stress enough that this is merely my opinion and experiences with them, and I could easily be proven wrong with an explanation of their actions, but nothing so far that I've received has come remotely close to making sense or being satisfactory.
Once again, while I may not be the most informed individual, my reasoning for being opposed to it is completely based off of my interpretation of their personality, as well as how they've treated me specifically, and their responses to various PR's.

It also doesn't help that as I press submit on this, that I feel like I'm about to get shit on by 6 people.

derkuleen

Post by derkuleen »

A month or two isn't long enough. No. I'm also going to say no on account of how often I see you arguing on discord. -1

Putnam

Post by Putnam »

Top three minimodder/peanut-poster, from what I've seen. Has previously come into conversation in the staff forums channel to bring up completely irrelevant incidents to discredit someone ahelping, and has done so often enough that I was suspecting grudging or metafriending. Hard no.

Like, any admin who replies to an ahelp this way would immediately lead to a goddamn riot. Absolutely not.

Detective Google

Post by Detective Google »

Generally I dislike responding on applications such as this because I feel most- if not all are incapable of thinking they're wrong, but, I suppose I must.

The main problem here is the separation of "work" and "play", I definitely shitpost and joke around and peanut in a manner unbefitting someone representing the server when I have no obligation otherwise, I'm sure if most of us acted as though we do online where our bosses could see it would be more than a little odd, especially in a service job.

I'm also sure as admins you face plenty of cases where you have to put the "big boy" pants on and put the "customer service smile" on your face, and deal with someone who is less than wonderful in a fair and polite manner.

What I'd propose in light of this, is that I perhaps haven't given admins a good look at the more professional behavior I am capable and willing to display when it's necessary, rather than just being some random player on a server, To assuage this issue I've finally stopped putting off asking for the mentor role and hope to fulfill it in a way satisfying to those requiring help, admins, and myself, as well as providing some of my experience with the game's mechanics to newer or less knowledgeable players.

In terms of grudging and metafriending, I truly deny both, my best "friends" so to speak on the server are staff or retired staff and are part of the reason I've been so interested in joining the staff and contributing to something I think they're doing a wonderful job with. I have definitely had some conflicts with people, everyone has, and I know some admins have had issues with people holding their ERP against them as a weapon of sorts, which perhaps can explain- if not excuse my reason for holding some people with distaste. However. I do not, and will not hold this against anyone in game, at any time. The way I treat out of character conflicts is by acting as though the people who play these characters have not met, and at best have gotten second hand knowledge by word of mouth of others, I find this "groundhog day" way of approaching such things works best as as I stated in my application, the best way to settle a conflict is to separate it's participants, and I don't exclude myself from this, while it's possible to put on a fake face and treat people in a way that excludes your personal judgement doing so is stressful and I avoid it when not required, is my solution the best way? obviously not. does it keep me from acting in a way that would disparage other players in game based on prior incidents? It does. I can definitely be a bit more civil with discussions with people which I have had issues with prior, if that is what is required, perhaps that is on me for being a bit too direct.

For those who do not want to read a rather lengthy response, TLDR;
Work =/= Play
I apologize for the interruption, and shall let you return to your posting.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

I'll be willing to return my support to this app. But I want to see that you can hold off on the peanut posting for a bit. Because Putnam does have a point, an admin replying to an ahelp like that would absolutely cause a riot.

Plus, this does give you a chance to get some extra time under your belt, because only a couple months is pretty lacking