Mewchild

Mewchild - RP Admin application

Post by Mewchild »

BYOND ckey: Mewchild
Character name: Phi Vietsi, Ciphrom Markov, Christa Martins, Sierra Sagan
Discord username (+user id): Phi-#8640
How long have you played on Citadel?: Off and on for 3 years
How long have you played SS13?: Started in 2015
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: GMT-6. Normally on anywhere from 4PM-4AM
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Admin on Heaven's Gate Station, Head Admin for Eros Research Platform
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: 3 year admin for The Grand Archives, a community of 1500+ people who focused on reverse angineering and hacking within the Soulsborne series of game
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: Enzo, PastelPrinceDan, Jaybird
Reason for application: I've been playing off and on with this community for several years now, and the server has a unique atmosphere that can't be found elsewhere as far as I've seen. The admin team often feels like the cool uncle, in a way, not afraid to just relax and be chill/laugh with the players of the server. I've actually been considering applying for a long while, after I spent a few shifts temp-adminned after we first swapped to the tether (helping resolve variable issues with the smelter, and replying to faxes with supervision), and I greatly enjoyed those few shifts of just doing that.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:
1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
Ping both of them to have them stop publically airing the fight. Speak with both individuals one on one, see if I can discover the root cause of their strife with one another. Recommend either taking some time away to cool their heads, and potentially advise blocking the other person depending on the nature of the altercation.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
Drop a message in AOOC stating that you're unable to handle the situation due to being involved and thus biased. Try and contact another member of the admin team to join the server and handle the ahelp (which should still be sent for record keeping). If another admin is unavailable, then handle the situation with the knowledge that you're probably not seeing the full picture due to having been a participant of it, and your singlular view is probably biased.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
Step one is always, always looking at the user notes of the player in question. Combine the knowledge gained from that with the severity of the rule break in question in order to make a judgement call. If it's something minor that can be gotten away with a "Hey, heads up, don't do [X]" then you should probably take that unless it's something that's been a previous issue. If it's something major such as welderbombing or blatent griefing, freeze the player to stop anymore action, and then initiate an adminPM. Ban if appropriate, and then after handling the user, leave a note on the player to log the interaction. Logs save lives, people.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
In situations where there's an event or situation where the additional logging provided to admins would negatively impact your enjoyment of the game, or would provide extra information that could sway you via the metaknowledge. Eg: The Triumph is being boarded, Logs would blast me with explosion and attack locations, and thus reveal the location of casualties. The other instance is when you're not in a state to handle users, be it through exhaustion or impairment in some capacity. Don't staff while drunk.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
Citatel admins are expected to be representatives of the server towards the playerbase. They're expected to be, if not polite, then professional in their dealings with users. They're expected to be mediators and diplomats in a way, able to de-escalate and resolve issues, while also not being afraid of being firm on server policies. Admins are expected to have in depth knowledge of the game and it's systems while also having the temperment to explain those systems to those who are trying to learn. The role is a combination of babysitter, diplomat, teacher, and executioner./s

Mewchild

Re: Mewchild - RP Admin application

Post by Mewchild »

I do want to clarify that Enzo only offered support on the condition that I put in a bit more playtime, as I just came back from a hiatus from SS13, and have been back for about two weeks consistently

buffalowing

Post by buffalowing »

it would be cool to see you around more before jumping into a staff application, i have little to go on weighing in on you as a player

Cataclysmanic

Post by Cataclysmanic »

Yeah, I'm sorry. No.

You give me a bad vibe, and some of the things you've said in LOOC have just absolutely creeped me out. You just came back after a hiatus, and it's not looking good at all.

I'll pass.

PlumeOfSmoke

Post by PlumeOfSmoke »

Nope.
Not a fan of how you treat myself and other players ICly and OOCly in the past. You might be a good admin or dev, but the suggestions I have for you would involve massive changes to the way you act and treat others. Maybe after a few more months you'll show you're fit for the job.

HarliChan

Post by HarliChan »

I don't have enough experience personally to make a decision here on my own. But I Can say that making sure people on the staff team are an addition to a functional team should be an important thing to take into account in these choices and there are quite a few people on the team who've expressed disinterest.

That being said, I officially abstain until further notice. +-0

Mewchild

Post by Mewchild »

My situation has changed in regards to work and available hours. I'd like to withdraw my application, as I haven't had time to play for some time, and I doubt I will for a good while.

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

Moving to denied by request of applicant.