GrayRachnid - Admin Application

Cataclysmanic

Re: GrayRachnid - Admin Application

Post by Cataclysmanic »

-1, flat.

If you’ll recall, I used to administrate over in Vesta alongside you. Considering this was only... 4-5 months ago? I’d say it’s still relevant. I can frankly say that from what I saw? You’re not material for administration over here. You’re much too aggressive both in operation, and in your interactions with people. I would not feel comfortable with you on the team at the moment.

That being said, I understand that people are capable of change. Prove that you can too.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

Cataclysmanic wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:41 am
-1, flat.

If you’ll recall, I used to administrate over in Vesta alongside you. Considering this was only... 4-5 months ago? I’d say it’s still relevant. I can frankly say that from what I saw? You’re not material for administration over here. You’re much too aggressive both in operation, and in your interactions with people. I would not feel comfortable with you on the team at the moment.

That being said, I understand that people are capable of change. Prove that you can too.
Hello!
The way I administered over vesta was what I considered necessary due to the fact that the server had a wiped clean ban list. A lot of people were shitposting in discord and the general chat was a chain of 70 meme images more often than not. I could not, as the first discord moderator at the time, not take an aggressive stance when the community was littered with people who have been permabanned from most of the servers on the hub. Now, I'm confident that the citadel main crowd are nothing like this considering citadel has had years to clean itself off from toxic community members.
Regardless! I'm interested to know what you considered aggressive in my behavior in the past so that I can come to avoid or perhaps explain my actions the way I saw them.
Thanks for commenting here nonetheless.

Silicons

Post by Silicons »

I'm honestly going to need a lot of * on the whole Vesta thing given that Gray is applying to staff main, which is far from anything else he's been in minus maybe yogstation.

The complaints about being overly intense from current active main staff are valid.
As for activity, Gray has been active for a couple of weeks now, and has had more activity in frankly the two last weeks than multiple admins have combined within months. Let's not be pot and kettle, please.

Silicons

Post by Silicons »

(I am fully aware of the implications on rulings/arguments regarding judgement as well, and I've been considering them within the context of main's current situation re: policy and enforcement.)

Cataclysmanic

Post by Cataclysmanic »

GrayRachnid wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:03 am
Cataclysmanic wrote:
-1, flat.

Hello!
The way I administered over vesta was what I considered necessary due to the fact that the server had a wiped clean ban list. A lot of people were shitposting in discord and the general chat was a chain of 70 meme images more often than not. I could not, as the first discord moderator at the time, not take an aggressive stance when the community was littered with people who have been permabanned from most of the servers on the hub. Now, I'm confident that the citadel main crowd are nothing like this considering citadel has had years to clean itself off from toxic community members.
Regardless! I'm interested to know what you considered aggressive in my behavior in the past so that I can come to avoid or perhaps explain my actions the way I saw them.
On numerous occasions, including one involving myself, you’d take an executive decision instead of going through a discussion. The action itself usually being outright brash and uncalled for.

An example involving myself (before I was an administrator over at Vesta) when I was trying to get an administrator’s attention in a channel where maturity was expected. While yes a channel about politics, all I had asked for was that a rather gaslighty and rude individual (You’ll know them as Bauser) be warned, or some kind of action be taken against them for flaming where flame was not needed.

I was discussing it with an administrator and explaining it all in a ticket, you showed up out of the blue and banned the both of us from the politics channel. Whether or not Bauser deserved it, debatable. All I had done was brought it to your attention, and I was punished for it.

Aggressive, unnecessary, and uncalled for. This is one of a few different occasions, and why I stand by my position.

Thank you

NicoDeimos

Post by NicoDeimos »

Silicons wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:10 am
I'm honestly going to need a lot of * on the whole Vesta thing given that Gray is applying to staff main, which is far from anything else he's been in minus maybe yogstation.

The complaints about being overly intense from current active main staff are valid.
As for activity, Gray has been active for a couple of weeks now, and has had more activity in frankly the two last weeks than multiple admins have combined within months. Let's not be pot and kettle, please.
Let's not play the 'whataboutism' game where the couple weeks they have been active again has already had incidences of them butting heads with staff. My opinion stands, they do not seem like the type that would work well with others.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

NicoDeimos wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:31 am
Silicons wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:10 am

Let's not play the 'whataboutism' game where the couple weeks they have been active again has already had incidences of them butting heads with staff. My opinion stands, they do not seem like the type that would work well with others.
There has only been 1 instance where I argued with a staff member and that only happened because they didn't want to discuss their ruling with me and deferred me to the headmins.
Cataclysmanic wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:18 am
GrayRachnid wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:03 am
Cataclysmanic wrote:
-1, flat.

Hello!
On numerous occasions, including one involving myself, you’d take an executive decision instead of going through a discussion. The action itself usually being outright brash and uncalled for.

An example involving myself (before I was an administrator over at Vesta) when I was trying to get an administrator’s attention in a channel where maturity was expected. While yes a channel about politics, all I had asked for was that a rather gaslighty and rude individual (You’ll know them as Bauser) be warned, or some kind of action be taken against them for flaming where flame was not needed.

I was discussing it with an administrator and explaining it all in a ticket, you showed up out of the blue and banned the both of us from the politics channel. Whether or not Bauser deserved it, debatable. All I had done was brought it to your attention, and I was punished for it.

Aggressive, unnecessary, and uncalled for. This is one of a few different occasions, and why I stand by my position.

Thank you
My memory isn't the best on this because frankly I'd like to forget everything that happened in the vesta politics channel. I don't want to dig up unrelated dirt now but I did discuss my actions with others first, it just wasn't discussed with moderators at the time. Alani had me as co-host and discord admin and I made executive decisions with those positions because otherwise I'd be nothing but a figurehead. Frankly I wanted the politics channel gone from the beginning but alani was against it. The next best thing I could think of was banning people from the politics channel if they're complained about. On the first day of me implementing this rule, 3 people complained about eachother and immediately got banned from the channel. Not the server, just the politics channel. I stand by my decision as I made it as a discord admin after discussing it with the headmin at the time. Regardless, I don't want to discuss it further and I'm sorry that left a negative impression, I can guarantee that I won't be making any such executive decisions without speaking to others first during my trial if I get accepted.

Trojan_Coyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

GrayRachnid wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:45 pm
Trojan_Coyote wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:05 pm
After a bit of interaction and watching you play the past few days, I'm not quite convinced on if you would be a good fit for the admin team. The impression that I get from you is a pretty inflexible view on rules and regulations which could lead to unneeded escalation. Admins need to be able to be flexible in interpretation of the rules and guidelines of the server. "Spirit of the law, not the letter". Your answers to the admin application questions were very good though, and I was impressed by them. -1 for now.
Thanks for the praise, I appreciate it!

In order to improve my chances and hopefully reconcile, i'd like to what that you saw me do which isn't considered fit for the admin team? I just want to better improve my chances of being accepted by fellow admins since that appears the major concern and I want to talk about it.
All right, I sat on this reply cause 1. I had work, and 2. I wanted to formulate something well worded and thought out to properly encompass my feelings on the matter. From yesterday in which I talked to you in a ticket, in my opinion, your view on space law being so rigid and uncompromising despite it being a vague set of guidelines for a while on citadel now gives me the impression that you would be the same with our rules for infractions that we deal with as admins. Your perceived inability to back down or settle on a matter at all reflects poorly upon what I would think your interaction with grey area tickets would be like, and could possibly result in unnecessary escalation and worsened relations between admins and the player base. This is the behavior that I saw that I don't believe belongs on the admin team.

Jaybirdnerd

Post by Jaybirdnerd »

Hello GrayRachnid,

Personally, having seen the overwhelming number of +1's, I feel a bit out of place with my vote as it's not one in your favor towards you being admin.

The way you conduct yourself, or at least what I've seen of you, has me sitting at a firm -1 personally. You kinda raise red flags for me in a lot of departments and don't, at least to me, seem like you'd be a good fit for the staff team role. Namely in fact on how you handle yourself socially, I've seen you come off far too abrasive for a community member in such a way that I've seen fights nearly start due to how you word yourself and in the things you say. While a certain amount of abrasiveness is a good thing (and while I know I'm pretty abrasive at times myself), in the way you've handled yourself recently in being abrasive it's sent up red flags for me.

As it stands, I'm going to sit a -1 here. If in the future things change or new evidence presents itself viable enough to change my mind, well, I'll change my mind. Until then, -1.

~
Jay

CygnusB
BYOND Username: CygnusB

Post by CygnusB »

So long as you don't butt heads with the rest of staff and argue/settle things while keeping your head level and not disrespecting them/anyone, sounds good, I support this.
+1