Solaris_Shade

[Solaris_Shade] Admin Application for Main

Post by Solaris_Shade »

BYOND ckey: Solaris_Shade
Character name: Koho'Lumen, Lilith Cressman, Bridget Bashline, Richard Hawking
Discord username (+user id): Solaris_Shade#9712
How long have you played on Citadel?: Six months
How long have you played SS13?: Eight months
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: 1700 EST (-4GMT/-5GMT) damn you daylight savings time
Previous SS13 related admin experience: NONE
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: NONE
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: None that I know of but they may say something in this thread.
Reason for application: I have been giving kevin/silicons grief that they are working harder than a one legged man in an ass kicking contest. That they should spend less time doing the work of twenty people and more time building up their team to bring citadel(main) to greatness. Well here's me putting action behind my words, I may not feel that I'm at the level our great head admin needs, but I can do the grunt work to free up time for those who are at that level.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation? With things clearly going beyond the round its time to take each of the players aside and inquire their side of the story. Got to find out why they are in this state. Then be the mediator between them if possible. I want everyone to have a good time playing the game. It's not a good time to the two players nor those witnessing the squabble.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention? If an admin is PART of the situation going down then it's time to call for someone else who doesn't have a potential bias to the outcome and let them mediate. If no other admins are on, low pop times, then I'd do my due diligence and gather all sides information on the situation. Inform the player that I, as the admin taking the ticket, was the other party and is going to submit this admin ticket to what ever is the proper location that the tickets go so that a non bias admin can act on behalf of the administration.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules? Follow the black and white of what is written and come to a consensus with fellow admins. Admins should always strive for the most lenient actions when ever possible, players can always learn from their mistakes.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing? Staff Policy calls out an admin should deadmin themselves when they are in a position where the meta data could greatly affect the round, such as antaging, command, sec, or silicon types. Exceptions can be understandable if it's a low pop round, or other moments where you are the only admin on the server at the time.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel? Staff Policy calls out a lot of good things on this subject. To be the eyes and ears, to give feedback on what is and what is NOT working on the server whether its player or code base. I feel that an admin should work with their fellow admins to cultivate the player base towards the destination the Head Admin established using the tools, policies, and data available.

Trojan_Coyote

Re: [Solaris_Shade] Admin Application for Main

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

Your answers aren't bad, if a little generic and more reliant on staff policy than we usually get. Unfortunately, even though I tend to spend a decent amount of time around lately, I uh... very rarely see you playing so I don't have a very good grasp on who you are and how you behave yourself in-game. tentative +1

Silicons

Post by Silicons »

not gonna lie i haven't seen much of you in game but then again i've been less active on server as of recent
nonetheless i've seen no real issues from you so i'm not against giving this a try. you seem alright, and i've definitely seen you trying your best to help out where needed.

i'll leave this open for another week for comments though.

superHB

Post by superHB »

I think Solaris has what it takes to be an admin. From what I gather from talking to them, they really want to do what's best for the server. +1

CoffeeJinx

Post by CoffeeJinx »

0 for me as I never interact with them in game or on the discord. They have seem to want to help, but I don't really know their actual opinions during the heat of a round. Hopefully I'll get to know them better one way or another so I can change the 0.

MrJWhit

Post by MrJWhit »

So, I've mostly dealt with you over the discord, and you're an incredibly honest and straightfoward person. You have been increadibly helpful to me and everyone you have talked to. You put your heart into everything you do, and it shows.

I would love to give you a +1, but, I don't know if you understand the mechanics of ss13. I don't mean admin tools, nobody knows that straight off the bat, but, I haven't seen you in-game that much, or what roles you play. So, I've got a few questions that I want to know for the "is this person griefing, or, dumb?" stuff. If you want any details or anything, please ask about it, I'm sure I can make something up :P

You don't need to know everything 100% perfectly, details can be
1. What's the main tool for a maxcap, and, how do you tell if a scientist is going to make a grief-y maxcap?
2. What causes an SM to delamn?
3. How can you quickly tell a plasmaflood is happening? (aside from the obvious plasma leaking out, in the atmos room)
4. What's a plant that, if you see botany making it, you know something's up?
5. What megafauna can happen to go on the station, and which have to be dragged intentionally?
6. What sort of tools are unacceptable for security to have at the start of the round?

Solaris_Shade

Post by Solaris_Shade »

MrJWhit wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:47 pm
So, I've mostly dealt with you over the discord, and you're an incredibly honest and straightfoward person. You have been increadibly helpful to me and everyone you have talked to. You put your heart into everything you do, and it shows.

I would love to give you a +1, but, I don't know if you understand the mechanics of ss13. I don't mean admin tools, nobody knows that straight off the bat, but, I haven't seen you in-game that much, or what roles you play. So, I've got a few questions that I want to know for the "is this person griefing, or, dumb?" stuff. If you want any details or anything, please ask about it, I'm sure I can make something up :P

You don't need to know everything 100% perfectly, details can be
1. What's the main tool for a maxcap, and, how do you tell if a scientist is going to make a grief-y maxcap?
2. What causes an SM to delamn?
3. How can you quickly tell a plasmaflood is happening? (aside from the obvious plasma leaking out, in the atmos room)
4. What's a plant that, if you see botany making it, you know something's up?
5. What megafauna can happen to go on the station, and which have to be dragged intentionally?
6. What sort of tools are unacceptable for security to have at the start of the round?
JP, very valid points on your concern about my level of game knowledge, hell anyone's knowledge when applying for an administration position. Players expect, no ASSUME, that admins are subject matter experts.

So like any good review board I'm gonna swing at it blind, then look it up and come back and add what I goofed.

1. Main tool is the transfer valve connecting the two tanks together. I've seen the heavy use of an RPD and that is technically a well used tool in the set up of the burn room. Grief-EE MAXcap? I'm gonna go with the bald menace vibe. That would be getting more than one tank of plasma. you really only need one to make a test bomb big enough to get some good points for science. Any thing more and the person is going to use multiple ones.

2. I want to say "heat" but its not that... its.. the "power" rating of the SM, it's got tiers to it. Get over a certain power level and the crystal gets all cranky and arcs and sparks like a tesla, she also gets damn hot too! power is effected by the heat and some voodoo math in the SM code where gasses have different heating bonuses when the crystal is hit.

3. Plasma flood... if I was to do it and I didn't want it to be stopped by the AI or something I'd hard line pipe the plasma tank to the distro loop to bypass any pumps that could be turned off.

4. death nettle, gatfruit, tomatos, kuzu or what ever the vine plant it called. Botany's got plenty of /FUN/ things it can bring to the table.

5. I don't go for the Mega's when I mine, I dig the chill of just ROCK! AND! STONE! I would guess the mobs that can "oops ALL MEGAs" accidentally would be dragon, a miner fleeing to the station to get dived bombed just in time to drag it with them. Bubbles, colossus, perhaps legion could be dragged in by the hetrophant staff return to beacon ability it has.

6. I personally never played sec, really. like not even once. So... my guess would lethal gear, riot gear, weapons of mass beatings, soap. Generally all the stuff sec straps on when Nukies declare war.... on a green shift.

Now.... to see what the Wiki gets to mock at me with how wrong I was.

1. BAH! a Tank Transfer Valve, I was close. wait.... what?! just O2 and hot plasma? damn... that's a lot of damage with that many TTVs...

2. sweet it was power, read in MeV. nice!

3. yea hard lines work. another way of doing a plasma flood would be just turning on pumps from the pure line to the distro line and flipping one pump.... wow that's... so simple. You just have to flip the pump that normally pumps air from the distro loop to the pure line around and turn on the pumps.

4. OH I forgot lemons! yea combustible lemons! man I forgot about those!

5. yea hetrophant staff and some pink potion from xenobio.

6. What I found is generally just... how not to be shitsec.

MrJWhit

Post by MrJWhit »

Yeah that all sounds good to me, so +1. Also, as a rule, if you see a scientist wandering around the station with a TTV, you know something's going down.

You don't need to be an expert in all systems, you can always shove it off as a "go ask mentorhelp" for things.

zI-H482

Post by zI-H482 »

After talking about this application recently, we’ve come to the consensus that this is an acceptable one. We think you’ve got the right idea and attitude for the job and there’s nothing disqualifying about your answers. However, the concern that’s preventing us from simply accepting this application is recent playtime on this server; the most consistent comment I got when soliciting other staff for opinions on this application was they’ve rarely seen you around.

So, while this application is being denied, if you would still like to be staff I would suggest posting this application again next month. If the playtime problem is solved by then, we’ve seen you on the server more and no other issues pop up, you’ve got my personal assurance that we’ll give you an answer before the week is through.