[WanderingFox95] Admin Application for Main

WanderingFox95

[WanderingFox95] Admin Application for Main

Post by WanderingFox95 »

BYOND ckey: WanderingFox95
Character name: Emily Ceri, Vanessa Torres, Caoimhe O'Connell, Tsuyoi Mizu
Discord username (+user id): Emily Ceri#4289
How long have you played on Citadel?: 7 months [Roughly 1850 hours of playtime, most of that in living, non-ghost roles]
How long have you played SS13?: 8 months
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: UTC+1/UTC+2 (Germany, Europe), Activity times vary
Previous SS13 related admin experience: I've been an admin on another, much smaller server for a few weeks and know how the tools work. I also needed to resolve quite a few conflicts there.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: I was an admin in a small, tight-knit community discord server before, and I was especially invested in keeping the age verification rules enforced.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: I have received no feedback on this yet, unfortunately.
Reason for application: I've noticed a general theme of the server being understaffed, existing staff stepping back or trying to shoulder the entire workload on their own and burning out, et cetera, and I want to help to the best of my ability. Also, in throwing my hat in the ring, so to speak, I will inevitably receive feedback on how to improve for the future if I'm declined.

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?

Answering this might take a bit - altercations can have many reasons. Of course, the worst-case scenario would be IC OoC about the active round. That would call for either muting the players in question OoC temporarily or disabling OoC temporarily altogether, then possibly trying to listen to either side in DMs and trying to patch things up, if possible. Of course, long term OoC altercations would possibly lead to metagrudging which in turn would fall under a different ruling than say, someone complaining they got killed in an "unfair" way and letting it go after being reminded that it is just a game.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?

As a situation involving an admin possibly impacts their decision-making in and response to said situation, requesting a different admin to handle the issue objectively is required. If unavailable, all available information in regards to the issue should be collected and forwarded to a different admin via available channels as soon as available. Of course, an important step is recognizing what went wrong in the situation. If you're a part of it yourself, you have to assess it and prevent the same or similar situations from happening in the future, as with anyone. Admins are not above the rules. Everyone could get involved in anything at any time, I know I have and I tried learning from my mistakes and conversations and improving accordingly.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?

Deciding on punishment depends on a plethora of different aspects. If it's the first time and a non-serious offence, for instance, there is a higher margin for leniency. Pointing out that it is a rule break and asking them to avoid doing it in the future would likely suffice. Perhaps a small note about it and how they took it. A player correcting the issue they caused vs. a player who spends more time arguing or trying to weasel their way out of punishment by other means when they are very clearly responsible. Low Pop and High Pop come with different margins of course. Repeat offenders would receive less leniency, depending on the nature of it, a temporary OOC ban, job ban, antag ban or server ban up to permanent bans when more drastic measures are required. In situations of uncertainty or the potential need for harsher punishment, perhaps requesting a second opinion of an admin previously involved in that player's note history could help in determining adequate punishment. Ultimately there's no completely 'right' way to do it, but ideally, per the established rules with a little leeway based on severity and history.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?

When playing any information-sensitive role, de-admining is required. As much as everyone wants to be, nobody is perfect, subconscious bias exists even outside of being an admin. For example (without naming names): Player A always cryos when they don't roll antag. Player A did not cryo this round. Bias says, Player A likely rolled antag. When any player has this knowledge, they know (or at least they should know) they're not allowed to use it. It will however be difficult not to be subconsciously warier of Player A. Especially other Antags, Head of Staff and Security roles would require one to de-admin. In the case of being the sole online admin, there is the way of simply not playing a sensitive role or to de-admin and re-admin when something requires one's attention as an admin.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?

An admin should be reliable, impartial, approachable, enforce the rules (perhaps not 'to a T', there's some leeway, but overall the rules do exist for a reason) and, generally, help the community and work with the players. We're all here to have fun, to relax, to try new things in-game, to hang out with our friends and enjoy our time. Working towards a state in which everyone involved is having a good time would be ideal. The recent rule rework is an example of this. Ahelps don't only deal with issues that happen "Right now" they also point out weaknesses and loopholes in rulesets, the mindset of the community or bugs in the code and allow an appropriate response to work towards for the best of the server.
Last edited by WanderingFox95 on Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dzahlus

Re: [WanderingFox95] Admin Application for Main

Post by dzahlus »

+1 from me, they already in tune with the player atmosphere and know what's good and bad before we even got the new ruleset.

Though don't deal with admin stuff in DMs it's just a headache for everyone.

superHB

Post by superHB »

+1 from me too. Emily is also dedicated to keeping the server on track and is a nice person all around.

CoffeeJinx

Post by CoffeeJinx »

-1 for me at the moment, but if they can make their case on antags and folks committing minor gremlin behavior I'll change it to a 0. Just my general interactions with them as an admin/player ic/dchat/ooc and the discord have made me not agree with their stances and opinions on certain core features of the game. This is mostly about antags for me. I just don't think they are someone who is of the mindset that would allow antags to really exist currently. Not a one time incident or discussion either.

WanderingFox95

Post by WanderingFox95 »

CoffeeJinx wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:30 am
-1 for me at the moment, but if they can make their case on antags and folks committing minor gremlin behavior I'll change it to a 0. Just my general interactions with them as an admin/player ic/dchat/ooc and the discord have made me not agree with their stances and opinions on certain core features of the game. This is mostly about antags for me. I just don't think they are someone who is of the mindset that would allow antags to really exist currently. Not a one time incident or discussion either.
I'm not entirely sure what exactly this is about, to be honest. You say it happened multiple times too, but I only remember two interactions we've really had at all recently.
The first was when I reported necroskull self-antagging, and I wasn't the only one to report this, so I doubt it's that.
The second was when I ahelped and asked if Xenos should GBJ you. My guess is this is about that.
I ahelped that after I was stripped, tied to a nest and walled in on all sides for about 4 minutes without any indication that anything else would be happening.
This was by no means to imply that "They shouldn't do this" or "They should play dumb", it was a confused response to behaviour that seemed odd, stripping and nesting would've had the same effect in that particular situation.
I'm not sure how that particular instance results in you getting such a strong anti-antag vibe from me that they "couldn't exist" with my mindset.
The only other discussion I remember having with you was related to conversion antags and I never said anything against those whatsoever, I said conversion is part of their gameplay and people get upset over that way too much.
I have ahelped in the past for clarification about cases where I simply wasn't sure if something was overstepping certain lines, which was mostly when the rules weren't particularly specific on things, this was to learn, not to complain.

If you'd like a case on antags and folks committing "minor gremlin behavior", the antag policy we have is something I personally agree with and would follow with no ill intent. The new rules are there to clear things up.
As for "Minor Gremlin Behavior", which I'm guessing is people doing things that border self-antagging, I would give them a nudge to make them aware of that they're tiptoeing the line.
If it's "annoying" behaviour, that's something that's dealt with in character, ideally with an appropriate response, as per IC escalation rules.

kooshy

Post by kooshy »

+1 ! (bitte don't mind this I am clueless with admin stuff only emi is good crew)

HeroWithYay

Post by HeroWithYay »

I hate to say this but it would be a -1 from me as well.

I don't really think 6 months on citadel is a sufficient amount of time to play to start applying for admin, like I've been here over a year now and actively trying to learn how an admin should act but I'm still not confident enough to put in an application for it.

Especially considering no prior admin experience and while I could be wrong I don't think you play antags? Which leads to a very one-sided view of antag behaviour.

WanderingFox95

Post by WanderingFox95 »

HeroWithYay wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:33 pm
I don't really think 6 months on citadel is a sufficient amount of time to play to start applying for admin, like I've been here over a year now and actively trying to learn how an admin should act but I'm still not confident enough to put in an application for it.
People have been accepted with less. (Also since the application, another month passed.)
Besides, someone can be here for years and not actually play. And if you need playtime in-game, 1569 hours alive and 234 hours in ghost roles.
HeroWithYay wrote:
Especially considering no prior admin experience
Prior Admin experience outside of SS13 probably doesn't count and within it is too small scale, but I know how the tools work.
HeroWithYay wrote:
and while I could be wrong I don't think you play antags? Which leads to a very one-sided view of antag behaviour.
I did before and I was going to start again after the reworks for rules/combat. I've been playing command more lately.
I had my fair share of antag rounds under the old rules though. I even balanced an antag item in one of my PRs.

Further, even if I never played antag, I know what matters when it comes to it.
Common sense isn't a hard skill, Fairness isn't a hard skill. They are soft skills. The correct application, developing the hard skill of properly moderating requires practice.
Practice one can't get by not getting involved.

MrJWhit

Post by MrJWhit »

Hey, we've been told that you have actually had previous admin experience for ss13, you don't need to go into detail about the server or anything, I'm just curious why there's a discrepancy with what you said and what we've been told.

WanderingFox95

Post by WanderingFox95 »

MrJWhit wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:37 pm
Hey, we've been told that you have actually had previous admin experience for ss13, you don't need to go into detail about the server or anything, I'm just curious why there's a discrepancy with what you said and what we've been told.
That "experience" happened unexpectedly and after I wrote the application. In fact, It started last week on, I think, Thursday?
I wasn't sure if I'm supposed to edit my application post. If so, I would probably need to update my playtime too.
It's a small, more or less private thing with very few, mostly inexperienced players. Ahelps are mostly used to ask how to do things.
Special Tools and Commands are mostly used to test things, teach things or bus silly things. It's a learning experience for everyone.
For honesty's sake, I'm not really sure it qualifies as "experience" just yet. It's practice, more than anything.