Dwarven Steel, CKey misileasdw

misileasdw

Dwarven Steel, CKey misileasdw

Post by misileasdw »

BYOND ckey: misileasdw
Character name: lord, I’ve a good few. Stella Thatcher and Jackie Lynn are my mains
Discord username (+user id): Dwarven Steel#1391
How long have you played on Citadel?: about 9-10ish months? Give or take 2.
How long have you played SS13?: About a month before I joined citadel, unity station about a half year.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: Very erratic, I dont have the best sleep schedule. Timezone is pacific standard.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: None whatsoever, with the exception of fiddling about in a private server.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: I’ve run two RP servers on discord, one that had 100 people, one that had 250 people at least, the latter of which was an NSFW server. I’ve also, many a year ago, administrated a roblox game back when it was actually good.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application:None at the moment, mostly for the reason that I havn’t asked. Never even knew this was a thing really. The question I mean.
Reason for application: I noticed we seem to have not too many active staff on citmain, and an increase in problems. Also less staff means less fun stuff happening. Thus, I felt I should help fix this.
Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
It depends on the altercation. Is it a simple civil argument, or is it full blown namecalling and war? In the prior, I’d just remind people to please keep it civil, and in the latter, I’d ask them to stop or please take it elsewhere, and should that fail, muting OOC.
2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention?
Leave it to the judgement of another admin or, should one not be available, note down the details (preferably having a third party note it) so another admin can deal with it when convenient. After all, one cant rightly make good judgements when they themselves are in question.
3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
How severe was the rule break? Have they done so before? Was it intentional, or just a rule break borne of stupidity or just not thinking?
4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
Any time admin knowledge would interfere. So primarily when playing in game, especially as an important role such as captain, or an antag.
5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
Well first and foremost, be responsible. This means taking the account of both sides equally, and owning up to any mistakes you may have made. Second, dont be an ass. Not saying to let people get away with rule breaks, but if someone takes the captains clothing in an obvious greenshift, no harm was done. Third, administrate. Help resolve incidents, and sometimes help spice up a round should the players wish.

buffalowing

Re: Dwarven Steel, CKey misileasdw

Post by buffalowing »

Straight to the point, good answers.

I'll say though that we tend to avoid letting people run off with objective loot considering dynamic might assign a traitor to go grab it (if there isn't already one), and suddenly their objective is unnecessarily difficult to achieve, y'know?

:)
+1

zI-H482

Post by zI-H482 »

Your answer for question 3 doesn't really give me enough insight into how you think punishments should be meted out. To help me figure out a bit more of your stance, I would appreciate if you could just list a couple punishments admins can dole out, coupled with some hypothetical situations that would warrant them and why.

misileasdw

Post by misileasdw »

zI-H482 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:40 pm
Your answer for question 3 doesn't really give me enough insight into how you think punishments should be meted out. To help me figure out a bit more of your stance, I would appreciate if you could just list a couple punishments admins can dole out, coupled with some hypothetical situations that would warrant them and why.
Of course! The problem with a question like this, is there's a lot of parameters. Has this person done something like this before? Do they have valid reasoning? Etc Etc. People are not white and black, and thus rules do not cover everything, or in some cases I feel overextend.
Anyways, enough about that. To my current knowledge, the punishments an admin can role out is:
OOC Mute
Noting someone
Banning someone from the game, either perma or temp
Wagging your finger at them
Job/role bans
There is likely a kick function I'd wager
Now on to the situations in which these could be used. Just gonna go straight black and whites with these. The first is OOC mute. I personally would do something like this for excessive ic ooc (And I mean straight entire conversation), or severe OOC arguments. When the names start flinging and its clear that any arguing is the opposite of constructive, give a warning in OOC to quit and cool down and, failing that, mute OOC. Then there's noting. I know some people feel "Oh, notes aren't a bad thing" but I cant deny that from what I've seen, it has been used as a punishment in the past, or justification for one (the memetic "too many notes," if you will). Thus I personally would try to reserve notes for situations which don't outright break the rules, but are skirting them, or situations which do, but do not warrant any of the higher punishments. Then there is banning someone. I'd try to use this sparingly, such as if there is the most obvious shitter on the planet, or someone has intentionally murderboned for the 4th time this week. Also I'd almost never use a permaban, as there's few situations that warrant such a thing (underage player, player who is an active detriment to the enjoyment of others and consistently breaks the rules and has proved themselves such after warnings, notes, and temp bans). I'd wag my finger at people who don't really break the rules, but just do something very asshole-ish. Just a "dude, not cool." As of yet I cant really come up with any situations for this, but since this is kinda a joke section, oh well. Then there are job/role bans. Job bans are for people who prove themselves Actively and maliciously incompetent. Being new to the game does not fit. Pflooding during EORG doesn't fit. Making a death atmos mix as nonantag fits. And its not a one off thing usually, I'm talking consistently using the job to, for lack of a better word and example, self antag. Role bans, such as antagonist or a specific antag role, are used when someone consistently and actively goes too far. Murderbone half the station once? Sure, accidents happen, and I've seen it happen not maliciously. The 4th time? You are either doing it on purpose, or you are the worst antag at disengaging I've ever seen. And then a kick function is, for all intents and purposes, a lesser ban. I guess it could be used to force someone to cool off failing all else? Don't really see many situations to use this.

zI-H482

Post by zI-H482 »

Right, I’m sorry for leaving you on the hook without a response for so long. On your answers, we have a few disagreements on philosophy. For example, the team and I generally understand notes are important for record keeping and co-ordination. While there’s a conception around them that they’re punishments, if someone has earned a wag of the finger (to use your parlance), other admins can only know really know about it if it’s recorded somewhere. We don’t punish someone for having too many notes, with quantity being more of a correlated rather than causal factor.

I think you’re on the right of it when it comes to bans being a tool of last resort, reserved for either when someone’s shown no desire to ameliorate bad behavior or when someone’s clearly here in bad faith.

That said, for job bans, we usually reserve it for when someone is consistently incompetent and shows no desire to learn how to do the role, or if their problem is specifically tied to the job, like a Head that faffs off from their department every round or a Security Officer who refuses to listen to the radio. If someone’s being actively and maliciously incompetent which you described as self-antagging, that’s usually more of a problem with the player rather than the problem with the player at said job.

I wouldn’t normally nitpick on this since people usually pick up on these things after a bit of adminning. However, you’re aware of the state of the server and its currently low population and I don’t think we need more staff at present. However, if everything above jives and things pick up again on the server, feel free to make another app then. We feel like your heart is in the right place and I can promise you that it won’t take so long to give you a proper answer next time.