Staff application: Auris456852

auris456852

Staff application: Auris456852

Post by auris456852 »

BYOND ckey: Auris456852
Character name: Marshall Bash
Discord username (+user id): Shieldbearer#1675
How long have you played on Citadel?: 3.53 months.
How long have you played SS13?: Roughly an year or so. I no longer remember when I started, so I apologize, I cannot give an accurate estimate.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: EEST (Eastern European Summer Time, UTC +3. Will be EET sometime, which is UTC +2), typically anywhere around 3PM - 6AM. Times may change later.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: None, unless screwing around as a host to no one counts.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: I was a GM on a Pokemon BYOND game, but it shut down before I got to do anything. So, effectively none.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: None so far.
Reason for application: Now, I'm kinda getting cold feet as I write this, so to speak, instinct telling me it might just be better to turn back now, if I can already hardly take the pressure of doing as much as I can as a player. Moreover, I have only played so long on Citadel, so it might be early for me, and I haven't had any real admin experience to help my case, either. But at the same time, I want to at least try to help the server, its administrators and its players to the best of my ability. If necessary, also watch and learn how to do so more effectively along the way.

Below you will be required to describe how you would handle a handful of scenarios that may or may not require admin intervention. 
For every scenario, describe your personal opinion of the intentions of the player(s), whether you think you should intervene, and how you would initiate an intervention with the player(s) if you decide to.

There are technically no "correct" answers for this, but you will be judged on how you respond to these questions.
You observe two players having a fist-fight in the bar. Player 1 puts Player 2 into critical condition, and then Player 1 quickly leaves the bar to go heal them-self. Checking their attack logs, you find that neither of them had any interaction before they started fighting. Checking their say logs however, you discover that both of them got in a verbal confrontation that got very heated, and that Player 2 both initiated the confrontation and threw the first punch. How do you proceed?
It is something a little finicky, if someone both starts a conversation and escalates it. The other player might not have been looking for a fight and I can't be sure if Player 2 had the intent to not murder someone instead of putting them into crit, but them's the breaks... 
I would have to file it as an IC issue, one security should likely handle, however keep an eye on that P2 to make sure they aren't picking too many fights.

You observe one player acting suspiciously and decide to watch them. While watching, you discover that they are a new player with less than a day of time on the server. You also discover that they haven't said anything for the entire round. Their contents include a full set of tools, and not much else. While watching they spend their time breaking into unsecure areas like the bar back room, hydroponics, the chapel office, EVA. How do you proceed?
Classic greytide stereotype, huh? Well... Them just starting and breaking into areas rings some alarms, especially if they're not an antagonist and have no reason to act that way. 
If they are just breaking into places without even taking anything (Ha, like someone does that!), while I would still ask why they are doing so in the case that they are not an antagonist and possibly suggest them to roleplay more than an assistant that does not assist (We've had enough of those, how'd they even get hired if they're actively a detriment to the station without any other company's involvement?), it's no harm, no foul, an IC issue that should likely be handled by Security, although they may want to interact with people a little more... That is, until they deliberately interrupt a private scene for no reason and break rule 8.7. Then punishments may have to be doled out.
If they are stealing things, as is likely the case, well... Sort of depends on what it is and the quantity - not many will complain about a stolen bottle of space beer, especially if there is no barkeeper present. But stealing EVA suits, weapons, over half the medkits in medbay storage and items of importance as a non-antag would certainly earn a bwoink. 
They would also hopefully not be abandoning any important job as they did these shenanigans if they're not an antagonist...

As for what I would do for punishment... I would likely let them off with a warning, except for more severe instances (one should not need to be told that stealing an unique gun or two, or multiple guns from the armory, without even a threat around is not kosher), which would have to net a stern talking-to followed by a relatively lenient time out.

You observe Player 1 who is a scientist building a combat mech. When they're finished, they allow Player 2 who is their friend and an assistant to come and take the combat mech out of the department. Later, Player 2 gets into a fight with security over the possession of the combat mech, and decides to try killing the security players but fails and is killed by security instead. How do you proceed?
Now, a combat mech that is not armed isn't much of a threat... But if they try to kill people with it, armed or unarmed, that's kind of a big deal. 
If player 2 is an antag, then they just got their just deserts, carry on. If not, I would have to question them on why the hell they thought self-antagging by fighting their own station's security force over a giant mech they shouldn't even have was a good idea, with potential punishments. Light ones and warnings for first offenses, upping the ante for repeated offenses.
As for player 1... If they're an antagonist together with the second player, then nothing really needs to be said. If only they are an antag, the unwitting assistant might sow some chaos for them to do other things, nothing out of the ordinary there, until violence happens. If they aren't an antagonist, then obviously, I would have to do something about that - ask them why they just gave a freakin' combat mech, presumably made without authorization, if the fight actually happened, to a lowly assistant. 

Cabbose

RE: Staff application: Auris456852

Post by Cabbose »

During the beginning of this app you were reminding me of the Eminem song, I had the beat going in the back of my head.

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

I feel like you've been around longer than three months but I might just be dumb. Either way I also do kinda feel this is a little premature, so leaning towards no but not entirely opposed.
ex-headmin

auris456852

Post by auris456852 »

If I was genuinely around for longer than three months, it wasn't much longer than that. If by premature, you mean that I haven't quite been around for long enough, then I sort of agree. To be honest, I didn't exactly expect to be accepted in the first place exactly because of that. But I'll still be here, if needed as a trialmin or somesuch.

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

I mean it's a good thing if I feel you've been here longer than you actually have, but I still feel this is premature so I'm going to say no for now, feel welcome to try again in a few more months.

Wait, I just checked the database, wtf.

First seen June 2015
ex-headmin

auris456852

Post by auris456852 »

Yes, I mentioned that at some point in the Citadel chat. Not sure when exactly, but I believe it was when I wandered about in my early days, looking for things to do. Likely just showed up, then left. I started playing for real at the start of April, as I joined the Discord.
Heh, wasn't even 18 all the way back then...
Last edited by auris456852 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

Yeah I'm gonna say wait a few more months otherwise this is looking decent.
ex-headmin