Vasaduro's Protean Application

Karamitsuko

Vasaduro's Protean Application

Post by Karamitsuko »

Discord name: Karamitsuko#3810

Byond ckey: vasaduro

Characters you currently play: NVR-MRE (Borg) Corvin Redfeather

Job/Races you are applying for: Protean

Name of the character you intend to be using (makes it easier for us to recognise and log): Koi Mizu

In the case of applying for a species, give us a brief summary of your character's backstory. This should give us an idea that you understand the lore of the species:
Water is necessary for most, if not all organic life to function well. (At-least, organic life that we happen to know of.) Of course, if one could control the water, one could control who lives and dies, surely. In this manner, controlling the water by means of creating fake water. Water that could take the appearance of a transparent liquid, and that could be discreetly transferred into some sort of lake or river during times of war. This fake water would then be able to wait for some hopeless enemy to walk by, and then all of the sudden snatch out at them, dragging them in, drowning them and killing them.

This was a scientific project being worked aboard a research station known as 'Alpha Dexturis', named so creatively after the planet it was orbiting, 'Dexturis II'. The planet was not a water planet, but its varying elevation led to having large lakes and rivers. This lead to this station being chosen, it was the right environment to test this sort of technology out. So, on this station a few refits were needed to be made to the research portion of the station for safely containing these experimental things. Months of experimenting passed, before the idea to use nano-technology was made. They could create a fluid-like soup of nanotechnology which would be weaponized, there were a few issues however. Thus, they began project 'Koi Mizu', literally translating to 'thick water'.

The story could be told of everything they did, but for the most part it would be useless to go over. The scientists, try as they might, couldn't find a way to effectively control the substance they created. It was either extremely volatile, didn't work at all, or it just became extremely erratic and unpredictable. However, one test did come through, which was named 'Koi Mizu A-223'. The A comes from the position on the station, 223 coming from, well, the two-hundred thirty-three tests before it. They'd been busy. Anyways, this particular one was an opaque grey mix, and didn't seem to have very much of an additude at all. In-fact, it even seemed to be friendly? It observed the researchers through the glass of its containment area, which was mostly just a metal box with a few glass windows in it, they didn't need much room. Eventually it began mimicking the behaviors of the researchers, even at one point adopting the colors of a researcher and beginning to emit vocal-like talking.

Fascinated, the researchers put this sample aside for further tests. It was given a larger container for freedom to move and do its thing, and they attempted to direct it. They began inserting objects into the chamber to see if this mass of nanotech would seem to eat anything. Within the first 20-or-so things they put in, they discovered that of all of the objects, the scraps of metal from engineering work had disappeared, and the blob seemed to be vocalizing its happiness with some kind of positive sounding squeaks?

For months they attempted to teach this blob things, assuming it even had the capacity to learn. They eventually wished to give up, seeing as not a whole lot had gotten done. It was still just a blob of nanomachines which had no collective intelligence--or so they thought. On a quiet night, the creature began forming itself into the body of one of the researchers, becoming a near perfect imitation. The next morning when the researchers came back, they were extremely surprised. It began speaking in short sentences, mostly nonsense, but it was proven to be learning. They knew that this was a breakthrough, and began putting dozens more hours per week into developing this creature. This process went on for a good year or two, and on A-223's third "birth"day, it began to be able to speak fluently. Overjoyed, the scientists celebrated by allowing it out of its cell for the first time to see what it would do. It explored its environment, and seemed harmless. The scientists began giving it rights to move freely over the facility--slowly but surely expanding its reach, until it was allowed into all general crew areas. The crew of the station absolutely loved its company, and eventually started coming to it for emotional needs. Something about the blob was so calming, so assuring and so helpful. It was able to take many shapes now, but had chosen one specifically for themself. A fluffy shark-like creature.

A few months later, things seemed normal, when a pirate attack occurred on the station. It was a wonder it hadn't happened sooner, this station was large and relatively undefended besides some moderately equipped security forces. The pirates blew towards the research room, easily getting there. The researchers and security were brutally murdered as the raiders searched for any valuable research gear that they could make a quick buck off of. Then, they saw the blob. Enraged, it wished to cause harm to them, but it had so long ago forgotten its original purpose of killing, and was unable to defend itself or its crew. It was taken captive--because they tried to cut it open and the knife just went right through.

After about a week aboard the ship, the blob had gotten sick of the living conditions--it had been shoved into a corner in a locked container, and it decided it was time to act. It managed to free itself from its prison and began looking for ways to escape. Ah! They were landed on the surface of a planet, perfect! It scurried through ventilation and through maintenance shafts before reaching the landing strut hatches. It touched the ground, and took off. In its anthropomorphic form it ran faster than it had ever known possible--spending its whole life confined to short hallways and small rooms.

Eventually, it managed to hitch a ride to a station from a friendly passer-by. That's where it began working, searching for a new home. Eventually, it found itself a job, and it stuck. It stuck, needing a mission for itself to complete, needing a goal in life. It decided helping people, making people feel good, and comforting people was what it wanted to do. That's what it had always done before those who it so happily assisted were murdered by a gang of brigands.

I'm sorry if this was too much, I read a little bit of an old character's lore for inspiration and I just started writing and kept writing, this was the result, haha.

Summarize the species. As evidence that you've looked into it: From my understanding, proteans are a blob of nanomachines which are not so much a species as they are sort of 'experiments' with creating some kind of sentient.. goo.. things? It's a little hard to tell. They're kinda like military created-ish though, I know that.

In the case of applying for Mime/Clown, what are you intending to do to make them distinct and enjoyable: n o c l o w n , c l o w n m a n b a d

What do you expect to happen if you use this race/job to violate any of the server rules?: I expect that if I were to purposefully violate server rules with this character, at the bare minimum would lose the white-list for the character, and further punishment for the rule break.

(EDIT) Another note that I would like to add: I probably haven't been seen *too* much, (edit of edit, this has been here for a bit around 2 weeks now so I'm sure you mightve seen me around :>) I'm just getting back into SS13 RP because of some bad experiences with some old servers I used to play on which I won't give names of course. Note please that the bad experiences were not because of some tension or drama, just some issues I had with the regulations of the server and how lax they were. I know the staff team may not be so willing to entrust, so I hear, a very powerful and buggy species whitelist to a user such as myself, but I assure you that I am very dedicated to making my time here a very good one, and not one where I get myself fucked over because I meme. I admit, yes, first time I came on Main a few days ago I was like 'haha, yes I will make bad virus in virology and release it', and I do regret that because it led to a temp-ban and some time to re-think my actions. After spending time on the RP server, I can really say this server's something that I'm definitely interested in sinking a whole lot of time into. About the character, though, I don't plan on doing crazy things. This character is by most means a pacifist, and would only ever go about actively trying to hurt other people if they were in some situation where it'd be impossible to escape without doing so. I don't plan on attacking people, sneaking through vents to do weird things or interrupt RP. I just really want to be the cool goo creature who everyone can come to for emotional support. :)

Thank you for taking the time to read my application, I know it's long, I counted, the backstory is just over 1000 words, plus all this at the end, but really, thanks for taking the time out of your day to review a thing I came up with. I would greatly appreciate feedback so long as it is constructive.
Last edited by Karamitsuko on Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AvaricePleonexia

Re: Karamitsuko's Protean Application

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Read's like a mediocre fanfiction. Good enough for me. I saw you once or twice online recently, you don't seem the sort to cause trouble, and, you're being open about your past infraction (wins kudos points with me, being humble enough to publically admit past faults.) I'm a-okay with giving you my support for this whitelist.

Karamitsuko

Re: Karamitsuko's Protean Application

Post by Karamitsuko »

Thank you, and I do admit it's not my best writing, I was a bit excited to apply for the species and typically I do not write such large backstories and typically prefer to explore their lore after playing them for a bit, so I was a bit out of my comfort zone. Thank you for your support!

Kered

Re: Vasaduro's Protean Application

Post by Kered »

I've seen you around before and you seem like a good roleplayer, not a negative influence on the community, and you're clearly dedicated to your character here and would avoid having it PK'd or having your whitelist revoked through acting stupid. I'll give this my support.

Karamitsuko

Post by Karamitsuko »

Thank you for the kind words Kered, and thank you for the support!

BlackMajor

Post by BlackMajor »

Yeah ok you got yer two "Ok"'s from two RP mins, moving over to approved.

Try not to be too edgy with the whole err, "Is a combat robot" background.
Mil RP oft treads into edge territory.