Dingus McBringus' Protean Application

DingusMcBringus

Dingus McBringus' Protean Application

Post by DingusMcBringus »

Discord name: NotSoBigBen#2658

Byond ckey: Dingus McBringus

Characters you currently play: Faye Gullveig, Benny Baros, Synthia

Job/Races you are applying for: Protean

Name of the character you intend to be using (makes it easier for us to recognise and log): B.E.N (Bio-mechanical Endoskeleton & Neural-link.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the case of applying for a species, give us a brief summary of your character's backstory. This should give us an idea that you understand the lore of the species: in a previous life, Ben was a down-on-his-luck Spacer, travelling the galaxy picking up what little work he could find, from sanitation work to Bodyguard, anything to make enough cash for lunch that day. One of said jobs being a human lab rat for the Omega Corporation, a decently-sized supplier of Bio-mechanics, Nanite Research and various other robotic endeavors. the job seemed easy enough, a simple mind scan, nothing else to it. easy money. Little was he aware of the true intentions that Omega Corp. had in store for his mind. unbeknownst to Ben, his mind had been tampered with while undergoing the scan, a small nano-chip being placed in the frontal cortex of his mind, a nano-chip designed to download his entire memory, behavior, everything. once Ben's mind had ceased to function on its own, the Nano-chip would transmit the collected data to a SECOND nano-chip. one that the Omega Corp. had put in a Synth, Serial #O8-82739K, Code-name: B.E.N.

Eventually, about 15 years after performing the experiment, Ben met his maker and the Nano-chip performed its function, sending its gathered information to the second nano-chip. but things had changed. when B.E.N. awoke, his systems were damaged, run-down from years of neglect and lacking upkeep, as was the surrounding area he found himself in. an extremely run-down research facility, blast marks and scorched peices of metal all around. during the past 15 years, the facility Ben had visited was assaulted by a heavily-armed pirate gang, leaving the area in complete disarray. not knowing the value of the B.E.N. Project, the pirate gang simply left him there inactivated, growing older and more damaged as time went on. now, B.E.N. was activated, and no clue of who he is or where he is. during B.E.N.'s 15 year slumber, the part of his Posibrain designed to receive all of Ben's memories had been damaged, causing B.E.N. to be activated with no knowledge of his previous life.

as B.E.N. wandered the abandoned Facility, trying to piece together what had happened there and how he was involved, he stumbled upon a derelict Transport Shuttle. one of the engines was damaged, along with the Navigation Systems being glitched, B.E.N. would proceed to scavenge parts from around the facility, making slow repairs to the Shuttle to get it into working condition. once he got it up and running, he set a launch course for the last coordinates that were input onto the shuttle: Omega Corp HQ. upon arriving there, one of the scientists working there recognized him immediately, the long-abandoned B.E.N Project that most had assumed to have been stolen or destroyed. The Scientist took B.E.N. into his lab, got him to functioning at 100% condition, though he was unable to retrieve his memory data banks. Instead, the Scientist offered B.E.N. a position at Omega Corp, being yet again another lab rat, allowing the scientists to work and study on him in exchange for shelter. B.E.N., having nowhere else to go, of course accepted the offer, and once they made sure his body was stable and functioning enough to leave the Facility, they presented him to one of their benefactors, allowing them to assign the Synth to one of their facilities for testing on how he performed in a work position. not wanting to risk the Synth being a form of Corporate Espionage, they assigned him to one of their lowest-priority stations: The NSB Adephagia, where he works primarily as a Biomechanical Engineer.

After being employed at the facility for about a year, both the Omega Corporation and Nanotrasen were satisfied with the Synth's capabilites and were positive he was in stable condition. however, the one downside to him being employed there was the cost of repairs. B.E.N. often returned to the Omega Corp. Facility damaged in one way or another, and the costs for constantly repairing a synth of such caliber were beginning to grow. but then the higher-ups at Omega Corp came up with something...what if they didnt have to repair him at all? what if they made it so he could repair himself while also being able to save on the cost of Nanopaste, able to even reconstruct broken-off limbs. and thus, they decided to give the Synth an upgrade, a whole new body, one that was capable of self-producing advanced microscopic nanites all melding together to form one single being.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summarize the species. As evidence that you've looked into it: Proteans are a type of Nanite-Based Synthetic, able to shift their appearance at will, dissolve into a blob of Nanite's, and can consume Metal to repair/alter their body even more. they're capable of going in vents while in blob form, and share many of the same properties as regular Synthetics, such as a lack of need for oxygen, food, etc.

What do you expect to happen if you use this race/job to violate any of the server rules?: I expect to be punished appropriately regarding the situation. if I were to abuse abilities specific to a Protean, I expect my whitelist to be swiftly removed and possibly banned if the situation requires it. I've been playing on the RP server for a long time, and would not want to risk being permanently banned for intentionally abusing this species abilities.

AvaricePleonexia

Re: Dingus McBringus' Protean Application

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Apologies for the late response, but, this is just B.E.N. as a Protean, isn't it? I've dropped my support for applications in the past for being retreads of the same character, and, I very much want to do it now. The only thing keeping me in tentative support of this is the story; that being that although he keeps his past self's mannerisms, he's lost his memory. Ugh. Good on you for your answers to the other two questions. This'll just have to wait until other admemes take a peek at it - feel free to self promote in #player-bulletin-board.

EDIT: Got some clarification. Yeah, okay. This has my support.

DingusMcBringus

Post by DingusMcBringus »

Yes, this is a character that I used to play, and I am hoping to use the basework for their story as a springboard for this application, and I can totally understand any apprehensions that might cause. Know that I am not doing this out of laziness however, and more of a hopefulness to bring back an old character that I enjoyed a lot in a fun way! I can understand if this doesn't change much, just hoping to clarify something!

mouseofthecake

Post by mouseofthecake »

That's... and odd reason for becoming a protean. Saving on the cost of nanopaste by turning someone into a million-thaller synthetic that's illegal in most of known space.

Still, the rest of the story is okay. You don't seem to get into trouble, and you understand what the species is about. +1