Discord name:
FreeStylaLT#5207

Byond ckey:

FreeStylaLT

Characters you currently play:
Hawke Boetirson, Chet Mitchells, Benedict Montgomery

Job/Races you are applying for:
Phoronoid

Name of the character you intend to be using (makes it easier for us to recognise and log):
Bavarium (Note: If seen as too inappropriate, can be changed.)

In the case of applying for a species, give us a brief summary of your character's backstory. This should give us an idea that you understand the lore of the species:
Bavarium, originally Barium, was a law-abiding, Boron-worshipping Phoronoid -- he lived in a small cot (Note: lore does not go into living condition specifics), attend his daily, weekly, monthly burning rituals, consumed a healthy amount of calcium, was enraged at the news of yet another holy Boron sinkhole getting desecrated by the "Suited ones" and worked as a simple peacekeeper in his local village.

This came to an end when an unidentified research vessel came down nearby, from which thick-suit-cladded men emerged, speaking in odd tongues. They did not bare the insignia of the desecrators, and were quite respectful of the local culture -- one of them was even set ablaze when their suit's helmet slipped off. His body burned for several minutes -- not great, but not terrible; he did not manage to command his companions all that well during that time; the screams and flails were not very decipherable.

However, from that moment, Barium took the newcomers entirely seriously. Their proposal was quite simple -- they were looking for a cultural exchange. One of theirs would stay behind to learn of the Phoronoid culture, while one of the locals embarks with them wearing a special suit of their own making. Barium, having already gotten a good impression of these folk, decided to oblige on the spot -- after all, he could at the very least be a missionary among the softsuits and teach them all about the glory of Boron, and to respect it.

As it turned out, that vessel was commandeered by none other but a group of eccentric German scientists, based from Aether Corporation, who Barium got to know particularly well. They taught him much better Common, though Barium picked up on their distinct accent, and even introduced him to various fields and specialties. In return, of course, Barium lectured them extensively on Boron and the intricacies of his people's religion.

Overtime, Barium's desire to return home dissipated -- the technological advances found were astounding, the people interesting, their religions faulty. He requested for the exchange to be extended, and extended again, until the topic was conveniently avoided altogether by both parties.

Since Barium was already one for maintaining peace and harmony, he was attracted to the fields of law and order, the education for which his eccentric companions gladly funded out of their own pockets, mostly using the money they acquired from the papers they published using a live specimen of a relatively unstudied and unknown species, and other research conducted on the planet during the exchange. When it came time to graduate and finally move on to internship and employment, they held a goodbye party and gifted him a commemorative plates for his suit. They were made of a mixture of Titanium, Barium and other metals. The alloy was nicknamed "Bavarium" by the group, which they found quite amusing. So amusing, that Barium, knowing that their chances of ever meeting again being slim -- and as a sign of sheer respect and gratitude for the group that shaped him and opened him to an entire galaxy, changed his own name to just that. Bavarium.

Summarize the species. As evidence that you've looked into it:
In short: Isolationist, theocratic sunworshipping skeletal nutjobs that consider being engulfed in flames proof of their ability to lead and as a sign of status in general. As a society they were left undisturbed until relatively recently. (I could not find a Phoronoid page on Cit wiki, so still using Paradise lore.)

Quirk-wise,
  • They're entirely made of plasma and thus cannot be exposed to oxygen-rich environments, which means they need to be in envirosuits.
  • They have a hard time learning fine motor controls, making surgeon Phoronoids particularly difficult to exist.
  • As mentioned, they're extremely religious, which I imagine spreads across most members of the species, meaning wherever they are, whatever they're doing, in one way or another, they're justifying their actions via Boron's worship, either by spreading it or enacting it in some way.
  • Reproduction is.. implicitly possible and happens, as they became skele-dudes over generations, but the actual methods are not mentioned, and, hopefully won't ever have to be.
In the case of applying for Mime/Clown, what are you intending to do to make them distinct and enjoyable: N/A.

What do you expect to happen if you use this race/job to violate any of the server rules?:
WL removed / racebanned and punished accordingly.

Enzo_Leon

Re: [FreeStylaLT] Phoronoid Whitelist

Post by Enzo_Leon »

Hey!

Sorry this has had no traction yet but gonna toss my +1 in this. You've brought a good bit to the servers' table as it were and I am excited to see what ya add to it with the phoronoids!

+1

Mewchild

Post by Mewchild »

This app seems really well written, and has an interesting concept. Freestyla is also a fantastic player from what I've interacted with them, and are always a joy to be around. Even if they are smelly. +1

PastelPrinceDan

Post by PastelPrinceDan »

I'll be honest and say that I don't know much about phoronoid lore, but this backstory seems pretty solid, and you're a good player. Can't wait to see what you do with your phoronoid.

+1

HarliChan

Post by HarliChan »

Not much phoronoid lore has been worked on yet, Or before us even. I give this my +1

Later on, I may contact you on mannerisms , behavoir and other lore things for phoronoids, along with other phoronoid players.

Captain277

Post by Captain277 »

Beware, Hawke. Beware. You're about to become one of the primary players for a rare alien race. That means people are gonna start coming to you for lore on that species. Including us. It's too late to back out now though, ha ha ha. Whitelist approved.