k5's tentative Xenochimera application

kfive

k5's tentative Xenochimera application

Post by kfive »

Discord name: k5#5555

Byond ckey: kfive

Characters you currently play: Dane Gustavia / Ema Grey / Maria Teorite / Lucifer / Wind Singing Between Stars / Nasumi

Job/Races you are applying for: Xenochimera

Name of the character you intend to be using (makes it easier for us to recognise and log): Dane Gustavia (Read on for an explanation)

In the case of applying for a species, give us a brief summary of your character's backstory. This should give us an idea that you understand the lore of the species: Dane's backstory roots him heavily in biology, and when he got the opportunity to get ahold of a xenochimera sample, he seized it. He's been experimenting on stray cells, while cultivating a passable quantity of them as reserve supply on the side. One day, his sanitization and separation techniques aren't up to scratch - maybe they developed to be able to penetrate his gloves, maybe he touched himself with contaminated gloves as he was discarding them, or maybe he was just not careful enough and let a stray drop of his strain splash him. He knows he's infected, and he could probably fix it given a few days, but the thought fills him with scientific vigor! He lets himself slowly get taken over, mind replicated in xenochi cells over a painstaking time, but doesn't shirk his duties on station, even though with every passing day, he knows he's more liable to... lose it. The challenge of making a life out of that fills him with determination.

Summarize the species. As evidence that you've looked into it: Xenochimera are the opposite of proteans. Xenochi cells are organic, and in large quantities show traits of emergent intelligence. Furthermore, they're capable of consuming organic matter from another being and replicating that species. Unfortunately, however, they're not so in tune with the idea of a fully-constructed body as a proper species would be, and are very liable to breaking down into fits of thoughtless action as a result.

In the case of applying for Mime/Clown, what are you intending to do to make them distinct and enjoyable: Honk!

What do you expect to happen if you use this race/job to violate any of the server rules?: The usual. A regular ban based on the rule broken, and a dewhitelisting. As usual, at the administration's discretion.

Kerbal22

Re: k5's tentative Xenochimera application

Post by Kerbal22 »

I might be completely incorrect, but doesn't Roanoake Syndrome just kill you outright?

peesh

Post by peesh »

im pretty sure this would...y'know, completely destroy Dane's mind? (eg memories, experiences, general sanity as seen in other xenochimera players)
Furthermore, they're capable of consuming organic matter from another being and replicating that species. Unfortunately, however, they're not so in tune with the idea of a fully-constructed body as a proper species would be, and are very liable to breaking down into fits of thoughtless action as a result.
even if it didnt, this is pretty snowflakey ontop of the stuff youve put in Danes backstory before. yknow, being god and everything

kfive

Post by kfive »

Kerbal22 wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:46 pm
I might be completely incorrect, but doesn't Roanoake Syndrome just kill you outright?
Well, I've been toying with this idea in the past and I don't find it too hard to believe that Xenochi couldn't slowly replace cells rather than just consuming them, if coaxed right.

However, what sealed the deal on doing this (temporarily, though, the madness will get to him after a while and he'll sleeve back into a regular body) was when someone else ended up claiming the exact same infection and full-body replacement a few months later.
peesh wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:48 pm
even if it didnt, this is pretty snowflakey ontop of the stuff youve put in Danes backstory before. yknow, being god and everything
Nah that's the 3-year-old main backstory you're thinking of, which is absolutely insane. I did a sanity review a while back and decided to fall onto the backup backstory, which is way more sensible. Which isn't to say I'm scrapping it, just that none of it will be mentioned again, aside from the theological aspects.

mouseofthecake

Post by mouseofthecake »

Roanoke syndrome, iirc, digests the person from the inside.

Kerbal22

Post by Kerbal22 »

Yeah, given what a xenochimera is, you should probably not say 'oh, but dane's a xenochimeria now!'

Just make another character.

kfive

Post by kfive »

Kerbal22 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:21 am
Yeah, given what a xenochimera is, you should probably not say 'oh, but dane's a xenochimeria now!'

As mentioned, I wouldn't be asking about it if someone else didn't do the same thing two weeks ago. The exact plan involves mentioning it to a few people, retiring the character for a week or so, and then returning the character with an almost complete progression, and letting the last stage progress in RP.

EDIT: (followed by me briefly complaining that they beat me to that idea)

mouseofthecake

Post by mouseofthecake »

...the last two applicants were Neinbox and myself. Neither of us used that idea. I assume you ran into an admin's character.

Kerbal22

Post by Kerbal22 »

kfive wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:31 am
Kerbal22 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:21 am

As mentioned, I wouldn't be asking about it if someone else didn't do the same thing two weeks ago. The exact plan involves mentioning it to a few people, retiring the character for a week or so, and then returning the character with an almost complete progression, and letting the last stage progress in RP.

EDIT: (followed by me briefly complaining that they beat me to that idea)
Citation Please.

HazelBailey

Post by HazelBailey »

I... Think everyone else has already summed up my thoughts, I can't support this. -1