Stiphs Protean

stiph

Stiphs Protean

Post by stiph »

Discord name: Nefreta#0286

Byond ckey: Stiphs

Characters you currently play: Nefreta

Job/Races you are applying for: Protean

Name of the character you intend to be using (makes it easier for us to recognise and log): Hast.

In the case of applying for a species, give us a brief summary of your character's backstory. This should give us an idea that you understand the lore of the species: An effort by a powerful free AI attempting to explore organic spirituality, Hast was designed to be fluid in his appearance, personality, and approach. It was an effort to use the shifting nature of a protean to imitate organic manners of thinking, think of a neural network. They are a wide eyed innocent, but fully aware, at least conceptually, of how the world works, and are aware enough to experience everything to its fullest from a fresh perspective.

Summarize the species. As evidence that you've looked into it: Proteans are clouds of nano-machines (son), that can into either a humanoid,blob-oid, or cloud like, form. They are able to consume metal to change their form further, and are otherwise quite similar to synths. They are however, able to vent crawl, and change size at will.

In the case of applying for Mime/Clown, what are you intending to do to make them distinct and enjoyable:

What do you expect to happen if you use this race/job to violate any of the server rules?:
I expect harsh punishment for any shenanigans that I enact while playing Hast, because of the vent-crawling ability, which could be very easily abused. If the other protean applications are to be believed, I can expect a range of retribution that spans from a week or month character ban, to revocation of my protean privilege.

AvaricePleonexia

Re: Stiphs Protean

Post by AvaricePleonexia »

Yeah, okay. I think you're lackluster at times when playing as the Overseer, but you're not a bad player. This has my support, and, oh man I'm sorry it took me so long to get to this one. I just completely forgot about it.

EDIT: My opinion, and thusly my support, has changed. It has been a while, and I took some time to do some digging around (rather, had some things come up that reminded me of what you had done in the past). Your behavior does leave much to be desired at times, which dampens my enthusiasm, but what really shuts this application down for me, and should have been my primary leading point previously, we have had a massive influx of Proteans. I would be setting a horrible standard if I let your application go through, whilst having denied other people for putting in more work than you have.

Hast sounds like more of the same. If I'm going to give an application my support, it needs to have solid reasoning for existing in the environment - what are you bringing to the table, so to speak. There have been plenty of applications that have gotten denied for being, "X, but cooler," and while this application isn't some such drivel, it still reeks of unoriginality and a lack of focus. The backstory you have laid out for us tells us nothing; this character, in essence, is a tabula rasa. A blank slate that you plan on filling in later using on-station interactions. But tell me, what character, custom species or otherwise, doesn't respond this way? The very nature of the server being High Role-Play and semi-persistent means that the focus of the "game" is player-narrative driven. To build connections with other characters and make meaningful connections while simulating a research station. Silliness, of course, tests the suspension of disbelief at times, but it's all in good fun. So, I ask you Stiphs, what does Hast bring to the NSB Adephagia that couldn't be achieved by a custom species, or an original idea?

I ask this pertinent question because, as you said yourself, Proteans have mechanics that are easy to abuse. I'm not keen on handing out privileges to those who have not earned them, nor am I too keen on rewarding someone for putting less effort into their backstory than I did responding to their application. Wish you the best, though.

Have a good one.

MrDoge [Ashie]

Post by MrDoge [Ashie] »

Man nobody has accepted or Denied this app yet jeez feels bad.

mouseofthecake

Post by mouseofthecake »

...holy shit, this is ancient.

I'll lean towards neutrality, as I'm not quite sure if you'd be a good fit for the whitelist.

EDIT: yeah, I'll just lean towards a -1. Heard some things that changed my mind on this.

Kered

Post by Kered »

Backstory is lackluster at best, pretty samey as Avarice has described in their edit, and your past behaviour leaves a little to be desired for a player to be granted special privelages. It's a no from me.