[DONATION] Orchid's Cool New Beach-Bod

IAmCrystalClear

[DONATION] Orchid's Cool New Beach-Bod

Post by IAmCrystalClear »

Discord name: IAmCrystalClear#9506

Byond ckey: IAmCrystalClear

Characters you currently play: Connor MacKenzie, Orchid

Job/Races you are applying for: Artificial Doll

Name of the character you intend to be using (makes it easier for us to recognize and log): Orchid

In the case of applying for a species, give us a brief summary of your character's backstory. This should give us an idea that you understand the lore of the species: N/A - Can get into it if really needed

Summarize the species. As evidence that you've looked into it: As above

What do you expect to happen if you use this race/job to violate any of the server rules?: I expect to be banned or smth. I'm planning to throw more money at y'all so I won't try to break the rules.

Cool descriptive bit: Hi! I'm Crystal.

I was pottering about earlier on citadel, and asked myself "wouldn't it be kinda cool if Orchid had her own species to represent her "alien" vibe a bit more? I convinced myself of this being a cool idea, so I asked Nik if he would make me one if I threw a bunch of money at the server. Perhaps unexpectedly, he said, "idk bro, sounds cool, apply on forums and see if u can convince headmins."

So! Here I am!

Orchid's a doll made almost entirely out of Porcelain, running off of a lot of artificial parts, and is meant to be a very uncanny valley. She is intended to be played as a quiet robot-like side character that, if spoken to more in-depth, opens up to show her more human side. The thing is, it's hard to show off her "artificial" nature as it stands. Nik told me it'd be "bsed" if someone paid to have nerfs applied to their character, and that's entirely what I aim to do. If my application succeeds, I'll pay an amount of money, the exact value I am willing to negotiate, and receive a whitelisted species with the following:

A cool, new sprite that shows off her doll-like joints, allowing her to more visibly show "skin" in-game.
A fancy new set of traits, including...
Less over-all HP. This is to simulate her being generally fragile.
Less over-all bone HP. She's made of porcelain. The idea is her bones don't break, instead, it is more her limbs being shattered.
Less oxygen usage. This would be to simulate her requiring less air due to the reduced blood in her system.
Little-to-no bleeding. She's a doll, almost entirely mechanical, and would need to only supply oxygen to limited organic tissue.
Less/minimal brain HP. Part of the character concept is that her brain is damaged, and it'd be cool if we reflected this in-game.

So yeah, that's my cool application! You're welcome to grill me about it and I'm happy make changes, but please try to keep money talks to my discord DMs.
Thanks!

Nik707

Re: [DONATION] Orchid's Cool New Beach-Bod

Post by Nik707 »

AAAAAAAALright. This took a bit, sorry
My thoughts on this are a bit varied. Yes, I told you to do this, so I'll explain.
I firmly believe anyone should be able to apply for whatever they want. If they can plead the case and the admins agree, go off. I think the donation is un-needed, and if anything makes it just feel very weird. If you wanna donate, do that, but don't append it to something like this in such a way that people will look at it as "you paid for something no one else gets."
I'd rather this be given solely on the merit of the application being good, and the idea being fun. So, given we drop the idea of this being a donation perk, I'd actually be for it and could probably code it.
So, technically a +1.

Jaybirdnerd

Post by Jaybirdnerd »

Hello IAmCrystalClear,

I would like to open by briefly stating that the porcelain doll aspect of this seems a bit off-kilter for the job position your character would be given due to the nature of those kinds of things being fairly fragile and the place they'd be working in is a space station full of dangerous equipment and varied times of distress that can happen anytime as well as anywhere. Maybe I'm wrong on this, maybe they're some sub-species with skin that looks like porcelain and -- Well that brings me to my next question, since your character's specie isn't very documented nor have we seen much in the way of what they even are.

Bringing us swiftly onward with the prior statement, I would like to know why you're donating AND making the sprites as well as the code-side assets for this character if that's the intent here. Typically whitelisting doesn't cost money in the slightest and if you're making a specific-type of character then couldn't you just simply make this through the character creation engine as is without having to apply for a (potential) whitelist for something we've yet to see hide nor hair of in the first place?

This does not feel right to me, and I can't exactly place my finger on the how and why (partially because all of my questions are sort-of all over the place about this one specific thing as I've yet to hear anything about what this thing is exactly) you feel the explicit need to whitelist for something that again, we have not even seen, read about, nor experienced. I do not feel I can easily give you a positive vote of confidence on this, namely because I have genuinely NO IDEA what this porcelain doll custom species is. As I have mentioned, I do have to give this a negative mark, and it is for the following reasons provided:
  • I personally have no idea what this creature is.
  • As well as the above, there has been no submitted entry into the github for this species.
  • There is no documentation on this species on our wiki or otherwise.
  • The species being 'fragile' is a big red flag due to the nature of their working environment being consistently hazardous (NT would not hire a super-fragile liability to work on-site at one of their facilities that are regularly going through some sort of issue; I.E. Spider events, phoron breaches, engine delamination, etc.)
Perhaps before whitelisting for a species that we do not yet currently have on our server ( Keyword: YET ) make the species in question and flesh out the code behind it. That would be a genuinely great starting point to go on before suddenly dropping in here and whitelisting for something that we cannot make honest judgement for due to our lack of witnessing it prior.

Nicc, the person that referred you, is one of the people I would safely say would probably know how to make this species a thing. If you need art assets for this species I do not mind stepping in and assisting as well in that department. However, until some work is done and we have a github release of this species to test it and see where exactly it lies, I do not feel comfortable giving you a +1 on this application.

In summation: This is, sadly, a -1 due to many factors at least from my perspective. Please actually make this species, have someone from our servers test it and check it out for you, and from there we can properly go on with a +1/-1 towards this application proper. For now, I have to sadly vote down on this and I hope you understand.

Thank you for applying,

~Jay

Silicons

Post by Silicons »

if you're still interested i have the following to say as a code person:
- we are not doing donator species at this time and i have pretty good reasons to do this
- if you want to do the sprite stuff and make it donator only to you however i will greenlight it as character aesthetics. you can use custom species.

i'll move this to denied in 24 hours not because this is "denied" as much as "yeah go ahead but don't do it as a species datum because that's unnecessary"