Main - Girdo - Adminbus that resulted in everyone losing their arms, never considered the consequences of such

Burger

Main - Girdo - Adminbus that resulted in everyone losing their arms, never considered the consequences of such

Post by Burger »

BYOND Name of complaint against: Girdo

Your BYOND name: BurgerBB

Date of issue and round ID: June 11th, 2019 17779

Reason for complaint:

This is a very complex issue that probably will result in no action but I'm going to try my luck anyways. During a greenshift, an adminbus vote was had asking if people wanted 4 arms. The majority of people said no, and voted as such. A few minutes later another vote was had, asking if people wanted to arms instead. Vote options were "no, holy fucking shit stop making polls you idiot" (or something along the lines of that) and "yes, girdo you're a fucking genius!" The majority of people voted for the yes option.

Sure enough about 5 minutes later, everyone's arms were dismembered. I mean it was really hilarious at first but as time went on, I think the whole idea became really fucking stupid for a multitude of reasons. First, the dismemberment caused people to start bleeding out and no one could fix this, as you can probably tell why. Bleeding out was solved by a mass adminheal but it was still annoying. Secondly, no one could put the arms back, same reason as before. Thirdly, the fix to the second issue was a meme. Instead of fixing the arms they just added 2 extra arms on people, which counted as separate arms slots, so everyone had 4 arm slots. Slimes who regrew their arms now had 4 arms, and everyone else had an annoying UI that showed they had 4 arm slows, 2 of which were broken.

As mentioned at the start, this is a very complex issue because there is a lot of grey areas in this. Technically, yes, a majority of people voted to have their arms removed, but people probably thought the poll wasn't meant to be taken seriously. Seems a little weird that people would unironically vote no to have 4 arms, but unironically vote yes to have no arms (keyword here is "unironically"). The effort to fix it as well, and the fact that a lot of very bad things happened during such, it wasn't that thought out. I am reminded of the time where Redtail called a deathsquad on a clock cult round and was surprised to find out that the Deathsquad have pulse rifles that can destroy walls easily, so all the Dsquad had to do was shoot in a straight line down the middle; the consequences weren't thought out.

But yeah, this adminbus is the equivalent to shoving a lit firecracker up your ass. Fucking hilarious at first, but when the consequences manifest, it's just not a pleasant experience. I've noticed a lot of admins shoving firecrackers up their ass bad adminbusses lately involving admins who don't have an understanding of the features or the code in question and I'm hoping that this complaint perhaps re-thinks what admins should do.

Obviously I don't want nor expect Girdo to get punished, I literally did not know who they were until this bus, but it would be nice to not have these sort of things happen on a mass scale.

Girdo

Re: Main - Girdo - Adminbus that resulted in everyone losing their arms, never considered the consequences of such

Post by Girdo »

My understanding of the procs that I - and the other admin online - used for the adminbus is limited, at best; nonexistent, at worst. I chose to proc the no-arms event n the faulty understanding that it would be easy to undo.

I was wrong.

While I did utilize a second proc that revived everyone on the map to combat the blood loss, it wasn't equivalent to a full admin-heal, which meant the arms remained dismembered, rather than growing them back and restoring the crew fully. The 4-arm solution was actually implemented by a second admin online at the time in an attempt to mitigate the damage.

I take full responsibility for my actions here, and the consequences of the fuck-up. I usually don't adminbus, and situations like this are exactly why. Had I been smart, I would have at least tested it on my own to ensure there was an easy and correct fix. Had I been smarter, I wouldn't have fucked with the round at all and would have let the meme vote be, and the round would've taken its course.

I'm not sure what the correct course of action here is. That's probably up for the other members of the staff team to decide. But I don't challenge the fact that I was in the wrong.

madamheichou

Re: Main - Girdo - Adminbus that resulted in everyone losing their arms, never considered the consequences of such

Post by madamheichou »

For the record, I tried proc'ing everyone back to two hands but it didn't work, and I was just now informed by Girdo that it didn't work because the proc considered how many hand slots there are, not how many arms are currently attached.

Burger

Post by Burger »

Yeah to restate this again, I don't want anyone really punished for this (But this is really up to the admins anyways), I just think that perhaps to prevent things like in this in the future, some rules should be added in what is acceptable to adminbus and when.

Izzy

Post by Izzy »

Shit happens, in regards to the proc fucking up. With the amount of BlackMajor's "pray to die instantly" memes coupled with every single badmin """event""" vote in the past being followed through with, I'd imagine the voters would have some sort of expectation, but you have a valid point nonetheless. Defining the line of acceptable adminbus is indeed something that I want to properly set with the other admins. I'm going to bring it up in the next roundtable to set things straight for the future.

Going to set this to resolved past that point, given Girdo's response and the action planned to be taken.