[Discord] 真ゲッターロボ #3374 - Abusive behavior, and the State of Citadel's Discord

Neinbox

[Discord] 真ゲッターロボ #3374 - Abusive behavior, and the State of Citadel's Discord

Post by Neinbox »

BYOND Name of complaint against: 真ゲッターロボ #3374 (Which I believe roughly translates to "Death-Getter Robot", which I will be using "Getter" for the sake of simplicity in this complaint.)

Your BYOND name: Neinbox

Date of issue and round ID: None; server-wide Discord issue

Reason for complaint: Right, so this is sort of an overarching issue that I'm noticing and would like to bring to attention, but I'm addressing one particular aspect of this issue that's a player verbally abusing me over it. Either way, this behavior isn't okay in the slightest.

For full disclosure, I have only ever interacted with this player exactly TWICE. The first time was when they joined my Discord server that was meant to be an IC character chat relay for fun, like the characters themselves pretending to use something similar to Discord ICly for more fluff interactions i.e. "hey, want to go see the movies?" and is generally good for quick pop-ins wherever you're at if your bored and doesn't require a booting-up of a client to do. I welcomed them in warmly, and I had positive interactions with them for a stint discussing a videogame.

The second time I interacted with them was when a new SS13 server "Odessa" (now Sojourn) was made. They were saying extremely negative things, things that I have seen even pop up in the Citadel server pop up said by other players calling it "containment". I won't get into detail because it's not entirely the focus of this complaint, but it is easy enough to see for yourself through a quick history search. That aside, I have told Getter to refrain from slandering said server and attempting to prevent players from joining if they wanted to out of curiosity or wanting to play it. I do not have the logs from the incident on their side as I outright banned them for toxic behavior on my server, but I do have plenty of witnesses and at least my side of me warning them from when they were present.
Cue a prompt removal here, and now, my explaining why I removed them, which was the first time I've actually banned someone from a server before.

Those instances were literally my ONLY interactions with that player. Now, fast forward to the recent months, and they are showing the same exact behavior, except this time it is on Citadel's Discord server and targeting me:
Getter, calling me "Hugbox" (which I have never used that as a nickname on any discord as far as I can recall), referring to the second to last snippit that I posted above, the term "hugbox" being used here as a negative term defined as "a place of containment for overly sensitive individuals". I encourage others to look up "Odessa" and "hugbox" as well as "retard containment" or even "containment".
For transparency, as Sojorn's lore maintainer, I do exactly as advertised. Xyel has requested that we not use his lore and what he wrote, and I am doing just that. There is no stealing nor theft of any kind. But that's not all.
People know they're being harmful. People know that the people who they are being terrible against read what they write. And let's be honest: Who the hell thinks that is okay? As for what was said, there are no excuses. For clarification, this is outright abusive, libel, and also breaks both Citadel's Discord and Discord's ToS Rules, the below taken directly from the Citadel Discord Server's #discord-rules channel.

So the overarching issue is that there is a massive problem with people from this community shit-talking another server, and from that the above incident cropped up from as a symptom of something larger. People, individuals of a community. And I don't know how or why it's allowed. As a general rule it shouldn't be. It's harmful, makes both communities look bad, further encourages said bad behavior, and I'm fairly certain it breaks Discord's ToS. I and the other server that I am a part of do not allow talk of other servers or their staff and community to be so grossly negative. Opinions are fine. You can say you don't agree or don't like it without being so harmful and completely tearing it all down. The general and golden rule when it comes to people talking bad about the other server here is, "Not our server, not our problem". But when you PUBLICLY and ACTIVELY target a member in a community who is also still a player and a part of the same community that you are in said community, it is a big problem and it has become personal.

This shit hurts I am beyond disgusted in such conduct. The fact that this kind of vile, abusive behavior is allowed to slide with others still actively partaking in it extremely disappointing. I get it. For whatever reason, you guys don't like us. Perhaps a part of it is a pack mentality thing. But for the love of God, leave us alone. Please. It is getting to the point where it is hurting people who are still a part of your own community, and this is still actively happening IN said community, as you can clearly see with the evidence I posted above. And if you guys want any further evidence of how far the toxicity reaches? Just search "Odessa" or "Sojourn" or perhaps any members from the other server. Just... Come on. We're all a bunch of people who are passionate about the same thing and came together to volunteer their time and efforts to make a videogame for others to enjoy. Can't we just have fun?
An excerpt from our server's rules, added 4/23/2019 and unedited, and as far as I can tell, before the first mention of the Odessa server in the Citadel Discord server which was on 5/29/2018, a full month after the rule was posted:
We really do mean well, guys. Many of us came from here, and many of us still do care about Citadel.

Now. What I want from this. I'd generally like the Discord to be better monitored for such vitriol and libel about other server's communities and their players. We're supposed to be good sports and this is the exact opposite. If they want to talk shit in PM's that's fine, people deserve to vent their frustrations, but like I said, this kind of public hatred goes beyond a simple dislike and is abhorrent. It has become such a problem that individuals are being openly attacked over it. Look up past mentions of the other server and read what was said, and kindly tell players to knock it off. Perhaps even ban them for breaking both Citadel's and Discord's rules. But that's up for the staff of the server and the Citadel Discord to decide.

And as for Getter, I believe a Discord ban is in order. I had to ban them for doing the same exact thing on my separate server despite several warnings to give them plenty of chances to stop. The same exact behavior is being repeated here, but this time it is aimed directly at me. I feel that they have broken both rules 1 and 6, and that proper action as promised within the rules should be carried out. If they are allowed to stay despite breaking the rules, I do not want to remain in a platform where I can see them continue to be so toxic and speaking so ill of me despite my needing to occasionally use it. Several people in the same situation have already done so because of similar, and that is a problem in and of itself.

And even after my suggestions to go and search things is followed through and others fail to see what is so wrong, then there is nothing more that I can say. I'm sorry if this post sounds heated coming from me, but this whole situation is very upsetting to say the least. Especially when staff let it slide.
Come on, guys.
These are only a few of the other things to display the full scope of the issue, and I cannot even begin to explain the depths of my disappointment.

I am fine with anyone else speaking up about Getter, and I encourage anyone else who has their grievances with how the community as a whole is treating them based off of what other games they may be playing which has gone on unaddressed to actually address how the situation itself is a festering mess of bitterness. It's far better than everyone clamoring for a ban for every single player that has mentioned Sojourn's community in such a harsh light. But no matter what, I wish for this to be kept civil everyone, please. Thank you in advance.
~N E I N B O X~

kevinz000

Re: [Discord] 真ゲッターロボ #3374 - Abusive behavior, and the State of Citadel's Discord

Post by kevinz000 »

Considering people talk shit about other servers in literal every single ss13 server I've been in I don't see how it's an issue here. If you want your server to be shown positively consider doing just that instead of trying to shut people up for talking shit.

Izzy

Re: [Discord] 真ゲッターロボ #3374 - Abusive behavior, and the State of Citadel's Discord

Post by Izzy »

Locking this topic because if you don't want your server discussed, don't discuss it. The server briefly came into the spotlight because a past citadel player was being discussed by citadel players. You know what I'm talking about. It's all been forgotten now.
There's no reason to dredge this all up a month later.