[Main] Trojancoyote

Redtail

[Main] Trojancoyote

Post by Redtail »

Byond name: Trojancoyote (or whatever their ckey is . We know who they are)
Your BYOND name: R3dtaile

Date of issue and RID: 3/8/2021 26308

with an active confirmed revenant going around breaking windows, and the crew salt-smoking the place, they bussed a janitorial ERT. I don't like the thought of someone bussing shit specifically to help revenants out against the standard counter against them. Their additionally was no chaplain around, either. Bussing minor things is one thing but literally going out of your way to bus shit specifically to assist antags under the guise of a CentCom sent janitorial ERT is pretty godawful. I understand you said "don't mop up all the salt" but when you are literally removing one of two options crew have to deal with revenants, that's pretty godawful.

Trojan_Coyote

Re: [Main] Trojancoyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

Against a crew that had thermals and space adaptation, scatter lasers and submachine guns via cargo who had easily destroyed aliens, salting a decently large portion of the station with salt smoke when the revenant hasn't done more than break a couple of non important windows and hasn't absorbed any souls is pretty powergamey. I sent two assistant janitor ert to clean up /some/ of the salt. They were pretty much immediately arrested and rendered a moot point.

Edit: salt smoke was deployed at nearly the first sign of the revenant showing itself

Silicons

Post by Silicons »

Woops I let this sit for a while.

So I already have my thoughts together last night but didn't have time to make an actual post. It's as follows:
- I have no inherent thing against admins bussing rounds. Done right, it can be pretty alright to spice up some rounds and introduce some variance in a way the code cannot.
- Per soon-to-be-actual staff policy, however, admins should yield with chaotic events/interventions if the previous rounds have been chaotic/similar, and especially avoid doing round-derailing events more than one round in a row. People are here on citadel for a mix of calm and action, we don't want to swing to either end.
- Be tactful when doing events/simliar. Don't railroad things without cause, when doing ERT/similar things consider if the side you're assisting needs, and deserves it. For example, sometimes an ERT is spawned for a final challenge to a cult that steamrolled too hard, but keep in mind that a lot of the time the antagonist worked to get their victory and that it's pretty awful for an admin to just take it away. This is why I hand-balance ERTs half the time, to make sure it's a challenge but not a "congratulations you die". This goes both ways.

In this specific case, I think it's also brought on by Trojan pressing buttons more than most admins in the days prior. The specific intervention done.. eh.
I'll put it this way: Central Command, OOCly, is admins. ICly, it's the player character's boss.
How would it make people feel to have Central Command sending in people to clean salt, when players are currently dealing with a very, very obnoxious antagonist (revenant), when it's one of the only ways to enact damage control against it? Breaches are obnoxious. It's not powergaming to salt the station in response to a hostile revenants. A far better bus if it was really needed would be making an agent or two to sabotage the efforts instead of making it look like admins are punishing the players for reacting to something that frankly, a lot of people just do not want to deal with. It's the salt ghost for a reason, it's a memey antag that is stopped by salt of all things for a reason, the people who made it and the people who maintain the code know or should damn well how much salt it causes.
Don't rub salt in people's wounds by having the person in charge IC and OOCly outright meme on them for the lack of a better word for a response to mitigate an obnoxious, unengaging antagonist. This is beyond "someone passed out thermals to cuck abductors/nightmares/etc", this is "this antagonist is extremely hard to counter without resulting in a wild goose chase of people trying to fix breaches everywhere while chasing something that cannot be hit unless they expose themselves to break something."

So in tl;dr
- Please be tactful and don't make it look like admins are coming at people for doing their jobs
- Please don't bus chaos things or railroad the round if it's been chaos multiple times in a row. There's, exceptions to this, these are all gray area/not a rule that like, can be quantified, for good reasons, but the general gist of it is this. I don't see too much of this but, uh, something to keep in mind.
- If you gotta do it, try to make it ICly make sense.

Trojan_Coyote

Post by Trojan_Coyote »

So do things a bit more tactfully, got it <3