[RP] Hjorthorn - Admin power abuse

GrayRachnid

[RP] Hjorthorn - Admin power abuse

Post by GrayRachnid »

BYOND Name of complaint against: Hjorthorn

Your BYOND name: GrayRachnid

Date of issue and round ID: Jun 16 2020, 10:20 AM EST(UTC -5)

Reason for complaint: Hjorthorn, playing Junko Kanegawa the Facility director, died to a mimic in maint and then abused their power to announce that they have died and wanted to be saved.

Nik707

Re: [RP] Hjorthorn - Admin power abuse

Post by Nik707 »

Okay, so they used the wrong command.
This isn't an uncommon practice for admins to step in when people die and for some reason no one notices. IE: Rescuing the exploration shuttle using admin commands, subtlemessaging a doctor who isn't paying attention to sensors, or in several cases, using the Intercom-Msg command that I assume is what Hjorthorn meant to use in this case, but accidentally used announce. What's the complaint?

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

abused their power to announce that they have died and wanted to be saved.

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

Yeah this isn't abuse of power. This is fairly common practice when someone dies and no one notices, because being locked outof the round because medbay isn't doing their job sucks on a server with 5 hour rounds. They accidentally used the wrong command. Shrug.

Hjorthorn

Post by Hjorthorn »

Was fine with sitting and waiting, but made the decision to centcom announce as there were no medics on. Would have done the same thing if it was a different player who had been killed as captain by a mimic in the same situation.

Hjorthorn

Post by Hjorthorn »

Hjorthorn wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:13 am
Was fine with sitting and waiting, but made the decision to centcom announce as there were no medics on. Would have done the same thing if it was a different player who had been killed as captain by a mimic in the same situation.
I suppose in the future I'll continue to do this for other captains except myself, in lowpop rounds with no medics.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

If someone posts in OOC that they died and asked people to check the sensors console to check, would that be considered IC in OOC?

This is the same concept but with admin powers. Them pressing the wrong button isn't the issue, it's the fact that they essentially revealed IC information using admin powers to help only themselves.

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

While I get your problem, the thing is, this is a pretty common thing we do for players on RP. I mean, next time I can just connect real quick and do it for them, I guess, but that seems like a huge waste of time. If people end up dead somewhere on low pop/no med/med is fucking rounds, it's really not uncommon for an admin to throw them a bone with an intercom message or subtle message to nudge someone to go do something about it.

GrayRachnid

Post by GrayRachnid »

I'm not going to bring up my thoughts on how that's intervening with the round since it is out of scope of this complaint. This complaint in specific is about the admin in question using admin powers to gain an unfair advantage over other players. If someone talks in OOC about their death and asks people to check suit sensors, it breaks the rules. However, just because an admin used an IC announcement button it's suddenly okay? That's corrupt thinking and very backwards. Whether you are doing it for yourself or other players is a different topic. Right now the issue is if they did it for themselves.

Would things be different if another admin did it for them? Maybe, maybe I wouldn't be making this complaint and instead i'd be jumping into another discussion about admin intervention in the round being ruining immersion. However, that is not the scope of this complaint, this complaint is specifically about an admin using powers for their self benefit.

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

Ok in the future they'll ping me and I'll come do it for them.