TheyCallMeTeehee/Xakior Blackwind

Banning admin:
Nethaufer

Ban type/duration (where you are banned from and for how long):
RP server/permaban

Ban reason:
Powergaming and Self Antagging

Your side of the story:
I never got to explain myself when the admin messaged me. Mid typing I suddenly lost connection for roughly three seconds and when it reconnected he had already banned me for disconnecting.

"Reason: Broke into CD's quarters for the spare for all access. Stole antique laser gun. They then assaulted CD. When bwoinked they DCed. Don't come back unless you have a good reason for breaking powergaming rules and self antagging.."

Most of this is unfortunately true, though I'd like to at least offer an explanation. Firstly, I use this server off-label. The round durations are very long and I like to practice skills I've never done, which is most of them as I'm rather new. Earlier today the station was very barren and I decided it would be a good time to put into practice upgrading my access card as I knew it could be done. I fumbled around and underwent the necessary steps and successfully achieved it. From there I used the ability to bypass doors to attend/practice matters in unattended departments (IE. I loaded and shipped Cargo containers, attempted to dispose of weird sun slug things, etc.)

All in all a success. So, this round I attempted to do that same thing, thinking it wouldn't be an issue. I was verifiably incorrect. During my attempt to enter the Captain's office, someone teleported on top of me with an unconscious person in their grasp and screamed at me. She then took the body/prone person and dragged her off and out. I didn't really know what to say or who this person was. If she were legitimate, I doubt I could say "Oops, ya caught me". I would need some sort of RP reason for being here. As I was waiting to see if she came back, it crossed my mind she might be in a similar position to me--trespassing. She had a body, after all and was using teleportation to come in. I snatched the laser gun. If she was the captain, I'd just offer a sheepish apology and point out why my mental pathways led me to my conclusion. Sure enough she bursts back into the room, minus one unconscious person, but with an entirely new feature: a shiny new gun, or as I would later come to learn firsthand, a device that harasses and discharges lightning. I saw the gun and decided RP wasn't likely to be in this person's interest, and I fired the laser at her once. She returned the favor with her Zeus9000 and I shot her again a couple of times until she backed out of the room, and I turned and bolted, dropping the gun behind me as I left. This whole episode was deteriorating rapidly, and I already didn't know what I was going to do about any of this when I got messaged by the admin.

As soon as I heard the notification I knew I was in for it, though I thought it was because I fired first. He asked me what I was doing in there, and I said I was trying to upgrade my card. He responded with "Yo that's super against the rules".

Oh no. I tentatively asked "which part?" hoping he would say my spelling or something. His response was "Breaking in to the captain's quarters is self antagging. Giving yourself all access is powergaming."

It was here that I began typing my explanation followed very swiftly by my three part apology when suddenly--

"Connection failed.
Reconnecting in 10 seconds..."

Thankfully it only lasted about three seconds...but I came back to the Ban message up above.

Why you think you should be unbanned:
I have only ever been banned from a game once in my life, and it was in error. I have never been banned for what equates to griefing.

I would like to argue that I was not powergaming in the slightest, I could already bypass doors with my hacking equipment, and my welding gear got me in the Captain's room in the first place. And yet, if giving yourself door access is powergaming then I have no defence for that.

I would like to argue I was not self-antagging even remotely; I only even stood there waiting for her return to honor the RP requirements of the server. And yet, I shot first. That's kind of the defining feature of antagonists, though I've never been any of them.

For the accusation of entering the Captain's quarters, my only defence is ignorance. I honestly had no idea that was disallowed from an administration level. I already understand I am essentially a guest on this server; not its target audience and am receiving benefit in the form of hours of practice at my leisure. It would be a piss poor way of repaying that kindness by flaunting meta rules, and I would not do that knowingly and for that I am very sorry.

If this event has led to me officially wearing out my welcome then I understand. The server wasn't gaining much from my presence and with this occurrence I caused it stress. But if my (long winded) explanation and earnest apology can mitigate those damages or mend any bridges, I would appreciate that. Upsetting anyone was never my intention.

Short version:
I wanted the ability to quickly bypass doors in an attempt to resume my diabolical plans of doing the crappy jobs no one else wants to/learn the mechanics of those jobs at the leisurely pace this server provides. I broke into Captain's Quarters, fired the laser gun at someone, and fled the scene. I got teleported on, yelled at, and struck by lightning. When the admin messaged me my connection stuttered which he took as me fleeing the summons.

The World is drawn. All things must end; whether the door is closed or we start again. Take a vote, yea or nay, and if I must go, then game well played.

~Xakior, (ex)resident Fatalist

Nethaufer

Re: [Nethaufer] TheyCallMeTeehee - rp server ban for powergaming

Post by Nethaufer »

Alright, first I'll apologize for not giving you a minute or so of time before dropping the 'disconnected during ahelp' perma. You actually came back JUST as I hit the button.

As for the rules, you did... actually break those two rules. Powergaming is getting unecessary power for no reason. Upping your access, especially as an assistant, falls under this. The self antagging for the RP server usually constitutes as breaking in to high value areas, such as the vault or in this case the CD's office, as typically it's an antag who would normally be in the okay of doing this.

Those two rule breaks, however, were rather minor and I was only likely to have leveled at most a day ban on you since it was the first offense. That's also partially the reason why I waited so long on replying to this (and also as I had work and I didn't want to do admin business between tasks at work).

As such, I'll be lifting the ban as soon as I get in game after posting this, partially because it would have likely ended in a day ban if I hadn't jumped the gun, and also because you do seem to be genuinely apologetic. You have no ill will from me.

Also, minor nitpick, but the ban reason for these appeals should be the ban reason as displayed when you attempt to connect to the server.