[Nicc] Posting Animal Cruelty in memes

Mushy

[Nicc] Posting Animal Cruelty in memes

Post by Mushy »

DISCORD name: @Gim#0613 or Mushy

Banning admin: Nicc

Ban type/duration: Discord, also I don't know how long I was banned for, I assumed permanent but it might not be. This might be a quirk of using Discord on the phone it never gave me a explanation or warning why I was banned I was just gone.

Ban reason: posting animal cruelty in memes.

Your side of the story:

The offended video posted in question was a video of a man throwing a starfish into the ocean while it made a Patrick from SpongeBob noise.

I'm willing to believe that this being animal cruelty is something that people would debate, I certainly didn't think it was animal cruelty when I posted it.

earlier today I also posted another video which got me pinged for animal cruelty, which I am not going to debate. That video definitely did qualify and I understand why it got removed.

so my understanding from what a friend told me was said, was Nicc banned me cause it interpreted as me skirting the rules, because I was warned so recently.

also I don't know how long I was banned for, I assumed permanent but it might not be. This might be a quirk of using Discord on the phone it never gave me a explanation or warning why I was banned I was just gone.

Why you think you should be unbanned:

Alright so first off, I'm not upset Nicc I don't think he did anything wrong my understanding is he went to the higher-ups and they approved beforehand, I understand why you can't violate Discord TOS.

I've been around for a while I don't troll I've never been banned before, the video in question I think is somewhat debateable if it is animal cruelty, and if it's deemed to be that way. I am genuinely sorry that I posted something against the rules and would like a to ask for forgiveness and if not to be unbanned, at least to have my ban reduced to a set amount of time.

I think in the context it might have seemed like I was trying to Skirt the Rules, but I genuinely did not even consider that video close to animal cruelty, I mean it's just a starfish being thrown into water, and it wasn't like I was posting it spitefully, I was just one the Dozen random videos I post from other meme pages throughout most of the days.

For the record, I promise to be extra diligent in the future and probably just avoid posting memes living creatures in it just to avoid this circumstance again.

Nik707

Re: [Nicc] Posting Animal Cruelty in memes

Post by Nik707 »

Hi.
I checked with headmins before acting to make sure I wasn't being sensitive but- to quote PBS, "Starfish lack a centralized brain, but they do have a complex nervous system and they can feel pain." Now, I could be wrong but I think throwing something that can feel pain 30 feet away and some feet down into the ocean for literally no reason other than "haha funene!!!" is pretty fucking cruel. I'm open to other admins weighing into decide though.

Mushy

Post by Mushy »

I don't really want to debate the physiology a starfish, I just want it on record that I didn't see the video as cruel. I saw it as a guy throwing a starfish into water plus patrick noises.

Nik707

Post by Nik707 »

I also want to state this was THREE HOURS after the warn about the OTHER video.

Cataclysmanic

Post by Cataclysmanic »

Whether it can recover, feel it, or even if it survived it all uninjured, this is still classified under TOS as animal cruelty. Sorry, no.

Mushy

Post by Mushy »

Is that a no I'm not going to be unbanned?

Cataclysmanic

Post by Cataclysmanic »

Mushy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:13 pm
Is that a no I'm not going to be unbanned?
That's a "No, I don't support your appeal." It's against TOS, so I see no reason to condone it.

Mushy

Post by Mushy »

I'm not saying you have to condone it, but does intent not matter? What about reputation, I've been on this server for ages without issue.

I'm just asking for forgiveness on the back of these facts with a promise that I will not post anything like that again, just like I have not posted anything like that for ages before now.

Redtail

Post by Redtail »

Intent does matter, but TOS matters even more. You had your one warning literally earlier today. You didalmost the exact same thing not even a day later. Fool us once shame on you fool us twice shame on us. Discord is a privilege, not a right. You proved incapable of using Discord for what we desire from our users, and thus, you have lost the ability to use it. Later down the line , maybe? But otherwise, no.

Captain277

Post by Captain277 »

I could see the intent argument having a little more weight if it weren't for the fact that you were warned for something extremely similar only a few hours prior. If you get warned about something, it'd probably be smart in the future to avoid anything that could reasonably be considered similar. One of the topmost rules in any version of our posted server policies is that toeing the line is treated as equivalent to the offense. Considering the offense in question jeopardizes the entire server, by virtue of being a direct TOS violation, I'm not supporting this appeal either.