Jobban appeal

MimicFaux

Jobban appeal

Post by MimicFaux »

BYOND Name:
MimicFaux
Reason Banned:
A long history of shitty shaft miner play. Most recently, telling the captain to order the arena shuttle as a non-antagonist on extended. Doesn't seem to realize why that's bad.
Admin who banned:
cebutris
Length Banned:
Jobban can only be lifted upon request. (permanent)
Appeal Reason:
After killing bubblegum today on an extended shift, I made the trip to speak with the captain and request the arena shuttle. I did not disguise my intentions, or attempt to mislead the captain. They were pleased that I'd asked since 'no one bothers with that anymore'. By all accounts it seemed like the captain knew the shuttle as well as I did and was happy to make the request.

The shuttle is ordered, and there's the handful of vocal complainers, most of who did not seem to understand how the shuttle worked at all, citing that there would only be 'one survivor'. I then voiced back on the radio that simply anyone who didn't want to participate, could ride in a pod, or simply teleport directly onto the shuttle, and skip the arena.

Cebu later pinged me for his inquiry asking about ordering the shuttle. I told them that it felt like a justified decision between two warrior types (captain said they'd come from war) who would cherish sharing that kind of thrill with the crew. Keeping in mind, that actually participating in the fighting portion of the arena is completely optional. I was told that I was making players choose between cramped pods and murdering one another; in return I offered the advice of just setting up a launchpad from science to skip straight into the treasure room. 10 metal, 2 glass, 10 cable, bluespace crystal, and a manipulator. I was then shortly after banned.

If I had been the one to break in to the bridge and ordered it myself, then yes, I would be deserving of the ban. Instead of doing something meanspirited like that however, that I'd gone through the station captain as an intermediary and simply requested the shuttle. I don't feel a jobban is appropriate, much less a permanent one.

UBFanDrake

RE: Jobban appeal

Post by UBFanDrake »

I have to agree, why Job Ban someone from being a Miner because they requested a shuttle and the Captain accepted? How does that at all show negligence as a Shaft Miner?

'Long history of shitty shaft miner play' easier for someone to not do what you don't like them doing as a miner if you TELL them what they did wrong that was deemed shitty behaviour but that's just my opinion.

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

perma jobban seems excessive since the captain would have had to order it, not you, but you really have to tone down the mining-specific grief this is like your third instance of it already
ex-headmin

MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux »

Kenzie wrote: perma jobban seems excessive since the captain would have had to order it, not you, but you really have to tone down the mining-specific grief this is like your third instance of it already
I understand that, and have been trying to keep things tame lately. The shuttle was something I wanted, and thought the safest way to do so was to ask the captain that round.

cebutris

Post by cebutris »

The reason that this was a permanent ban is because A) It wasn't your first instance of mining related self-antagging, not even your first time involving the shuttle. and B) You didn't seem to understand WHY the shuttle that kills half the crew is a bad idea, not something you get unless you're an antag

Sure, you didn't order it yourself, but you did convince the captain (who was also punished) to get it, despite the fact that it VERY CLEARLY KILLS PEOPLE, and when I questioned you about it you didn't understand WHY that wasn't a good thing to do

I stand by this ban, but at the same time I can see why it might not be valid. I'll wait for other opinions and arguments to change my mind
Awoo

Sylas

Post by Sylas »

A permanent mining ban for convincing a captain to purchase a lethal shuttle is a bit absurd in my opinion, especially since a means of bypassing the deadly portion was put into use. It wasnt done with the intent to self antag in the slightest.

I feel this ban, really, shouldnt have happened.

Raeschen

Post by Raeschen »

seems a bit OTT since the shuttle is there and available for ordering and you didn't do the ordering.

Seems like the correct way to avoid this is to tell the host to disable the dangerous shuttle, not permaban players

MimicFaux

Post by MimicFaux »

/me Tender bump

cebutris

Post by cebutris »

Gonna be totally honest- I forgot about this one, I meant to unban you way earlier.

Appeal accepted, I'll the ban when I get home, or another admin can get it before then
Awoo

Sylas

Post by Sylas »

Un-job banned them for you, Cebu.