Developer Complaint: Poojawa

Knightfall5

Developer Complaint: Poojawa

Post by Knightfall5 »

BYOND Name of complaint against: Poojawa

Your BYOND name: Knightfall5

Date of issue and round ID: 3/6/2018, round not applicable.

Reason for complaint: Self merging a PR with a stealth nerf to Xenobiology that was only open for three hours, blatantly breaking the rules regarding how PRs are to be merged. They also ignore the community when we heavily dislike a change, such as with the PR to remove the SM for the Tesla on all maps.

https://github.com/Citadel-Station-13/C ... /pull/5828

https://github.com/Citadel-Station-13/C ... /pull/5787

Last edited by Knightfall5 on Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cebutris

RE: Devlepor Complaint: Poojawa

Post by cebutris »

Here's an imgur compilation of times Jay has said not to self-merge.

https://imgur.com/a/i18YM

And yet, Poojawa continues to self-merge.
Awoo

Knightfall5

RE: Developer Complaint: Poojawa

Post by Knightfall5 »

I'd also like to point out that in the above image, Poojawa says that github merges get no comments and discord is all just complaining for the sake of complaining. The Tesla>SM Merge was commented in by a number of people and was heavily disliked, and it was ignored anyways. Where do we put feedback where it will result in a change? Why does everything get merged whether we as players like it or not?

LeonDuvall

Post by LeonDuvall »

As someone who has both supported and been against things poojawa has done to change our server, and has tried to participate multiple times in calm discussion with them, I feel that Pooj’s attitude and behavior is unbecoming of a proper developer and admin. The way they seem to view the community as mindless goons and their lack of time on the server itself also shows a major disconnect from the people they are coding for, as well as the features they are modifying. They treat the server code like their plaything, and believe that we should just adjust to their idea of “fun and balanced gameplay” with no regard for how the community as a whole feels. I do think they have the technical skills to code for us, but they do not have the ability nor desire to listen to the community and maintain a good reputation with them, nor follow the rules layed out by that community.

Snowdragon01

Post by Snowdragon01 »

This admin also throws out insults to anyone who disagrees and just generally acts like a immature child.

yourdoom9898

Post by yourdoom9898 »

I do not think making PRs harder to merge is a suitable action in this case. Poojawa is shown themselves to be egotistical, with a wide disregard for the community at large, such as viewing the people who complained about the Xenobiology nerf as "the fucking crybaby squad." This is also not the first times they've delved into insults after people haven't bent backwards to agree with them. They also have explicitly stated that they do not listen to community feedback, as they consider it "worthless feedback". All in all, I do not believe that they hold the respect to the community to be a staff member, or have the ability to merge PRs that they approve up, past community disagreement.

Sylas

Post by Sylas »

*whistles
Ive been expecting something like this to show up, not a full blown report, but just a directed complaint in general.
I can honestly, confidently say, Poojawa does not give a shit about the community's feedback or opinion when it comes to her own code, she has even said it before, here. https://gyazo.com/b1e9dd03d854b57e8c9d4c9b515293b9

While I, personally, like the change referenced here, the little quip at the end quite frankly disintegrated any shred of respect I retained for poojawa as a member of staff and development.

I even have had a few instances of immediately reporting bugs during a test merge of the combat update, to pooj, them being the only other staff/dev online at the time. Immediately, responded with a dismissive, sarcastic quip of it being a feature.

Following? I ended up having Ahelps of my own that shift, and because of my frustration to their lack of caring over a previous ahelp, poojawa ended up blatantly ignoring legitimate issues I had ahelped over that I was personally involved with, and wasnt allowed to handle due to bias.

I even ended up having to voice my concerns to Gorgilisk, who has even spoken to Poojawa about this incident in question, after having hopped on to handle the tickets themself, which Im also thankful for.

TL;DR?
Poojawa isnt fit to be equivalent of staff member. Theyre an honestly great coder, but they have too high a level of cynicism to be a member of staff.

I fully expect this response to determine their future interactions with me too, honestly. And that just feels shitty. I dont like disliking people, I already have enough social poison in my personal life.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

What do we want to get out of this?
That is my question to you all.
Yes, self merging is an issue but this thread screams of "DEMOTE HE".
I don't personally agree with /all/ of the changes or decisions either. Some of them like the Tesla vs sm I am very opposed to. However:
What exactly do you want done to the stsff member in question?
And a more worthwhile question: has anyone complaining about said things voiced their opinion in a CONSTRUCTIVE (eg: so we can improve things with your feedback, not BAD REVERT REMOVE) way? Has anyone that so far posted been less than professional when dealing with Poojawa in discord or anything else, at any point in time during the recent events?
Last edited by kevinz000 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

yourdoom9898

Post by yourdoom9898 »

"Has anyone that so far posted been less than professional when dealing with Poojawa in discord or anything else, at any point in time during the recent events?"

That question is loaded to the point of barely acknowledging it's existence. Personally, I have tried to maintain a professional attitude and tone, just to watch pooj turn around and start throwing insults because people are disagreeing with them. As for what I want out of this complaint, yes, I want to see them demoted. They have shown a disregard for anyone's opinion but themselves, and a complete lack of the respect for others that is expected of a person in authority, not to mention that they have had several breaches of maintainer's rules swept under the rug.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

Yourdoom:
Not everyone has done the same, and I want to make that point.  Not everyone has been civil in the debate and there's been a lot of hate being flung around. We are volunteers. I'm not saying he's been professional at times with his opinions on people but honestly at this point I can not say it's entirely unjustified.

As for having him demoted:
He's been here far longer than most of us and while I don't agree with the methods he is attempting on making the place not just another tg ripoff with minor differences and a different rulebook and I respect that.
If he is fired are you or anyone else skilled enough to take the mantle and tread onwards with rebalancing and overhauls? Currently it is just him, bhijn, talkingcactus who's been gone for a long time, and me who is normally too busy to do much on downstream, among a few other more or less regular coders in the bus. No randomized door wires and stuff arnet the best game design in my opinion anyways but can you do better while doing anything at all?
While the method of change and the exact details aren't as appealing it is in the right general direction.