It's That Time of Year Again - k5 Admin App

Do polls on literally every forum thread I make hinder my chances of having this application accepted?

Total votes: 0

kfive

It's That Time of Year Again - k5 Admin App

Post by kfive »

It's a pleasure having a different template so I don't have to copypaste my last 3 applications like before.

BYOND ckey: kFive
Character name: Dane Gustavia / Maria E. Teorite / TIS Experimental Unit 'Lucifer' (Suspended) / Ema Grey (On Hold) / Solomon Midas (Not in Use) / 3 others whose names have been lost with the most recent port change.
Discord username (+user id): k5#5555
How long have you played on Citadel?: 3 years less 2 months.
How long have you played SS13?: See above.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: GMT-5, Sporadically active.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: Screwing around with private servers to test things.
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Host of an AO server for the period of 2 years. Server removed following lack of demand.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application: No list made.
Reason for application: Dissatisfaction with the current administrative regime. There's really no other good reason to apply for it.

Please answer the following questions to the best of your abilities:

1. How would you engage with two players having an out of character altercation?
Ask them to keep any IC info as IC as reasonable and to not accuse each other of metagrudging. If someone's metagrudging, players should ahelp, not whine in LOOC. Depending on the situation, it may call for the more vociferous of the circle to be LOOC muted for a few minutes. Alternatively, request they take this discussion to private channels - those usually have block features in the event of salt, and it forces them to reevaluate their opposition as people rather than as characters with LOOC just being a place to be angrier than you'd let your character be IC.

2. What should an admin do if they're involved in a situation that needs admin intervention? THIS QUESTION WAS MISINTERPRETED. ORIGINAL RESPONSE REMAINS HERE, HOWEVER MY ACTUAL RESPONSE IS IN MY NEXT POST.
Intervene. There really isn't enough information in the question to give a better answer than that. However, intervening should generally never be needed unless an Ahelp comes in, or someone's doing something very obviously sketchy, like running around the station with a backpack full of maxcaps, at which point it's at least worth confirming that they're delivering them to Mining and not to a live demonstration for the Captain.

3. How should an admin determine in what way to punish someone who breaks the rules?
Minimum relevant punishment for first offenses, increase as needed. Secbanning a shitcurity instead of serverbanning, except when actions affect the round as a whole: Cuban Pete would enjoy some well-earned time off even if toxins is a strictly science field.

4. Under what conditions should an admin de-admin themselves while playing?
Depends on the admin's ability to not act on knowledge gained OOCly. The best admin would never have to deadmin simply on account of being able to maintain the RP even in the middle of an administrative crisis (so to speak) or super-stealth event.

5. What is expected of an admin on Citadel?
(Fun fact: the Mod app also uses the word Admin for this set of questions.)
Pooj, Zelda, Rag, Cactus, Major, Radar, Jade, Serdy, Theoun - What is the one single thread connecting all these vastly different administrative styles? No hipfiring. Acting professionally and investigating things before taking administrative action. (Yes, I know TK and ThingPony (When TK was on her account) were exceptions to the rule, but we don't talk about them.)
Last edited by kfive on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deathride58

RE: It's That Time of Year Again - k5 Admin App

Post by deathride58 »

Staff applications have been closed since Wednesday, as we have more than enough staff members to cover each hour of the day, among other things.

Additionally, you have like fifty fucking denied applications on top of poor behavioral history. How many applications of yours do we have to deny for you to get the hint?

On top of that, your recent episode where you abused an href exploit to play a character of a species that's set in stone as a hard "DO NOT WHITELIST ANYONE FOR THIS SPECIES", then proceeded to try to tell a moderator that you were whitelisted for the species, really doesn't leave a good taste in anyone's mouth.

Worgilisk

Post by Worgilisk »

Okay, some points to bring up...;
1) With this being so soon after you were seen using a RP race you hadn't been whitelisted for, and then making a whitelist application for a Protean (which is and was mentioned to be a 'hard no'), you *really* could've picked a better time to try and make another staff application.
2) Can't say I'm the biggest fan of your answer to the second question; the idea that you'd intervene without a second thought to address an ahelp that involves you can raise unwanted complications.
3) Really can't figure out if you're bringing up that list of current and ex-admins up in a negative or positive light... and if it's negative, trying to shame admins whilst trying to join the same team they are or were in isn't really going to help you.
4) It was already announce in the Citadel Discord that were aren't looking to hire on more staff at the moment, so even without the other points I mentioned your application would still likely be denied because of that.
Ex-Citadel Admin

kfive

Post by kfive »

deathride58 wrote: poor behavioral history

On top of that, your recent episode where you abused an href exploit to play a character of a species that's set in stone as a hard "DO NOT WHITELIST ANYONE FOR THIS SPECIES", then proceeded to try to tell a moderator that you were whitelisted for the species, really doesn't leave a good taste in anyone's mouth.
I give you permission to post all my notes here, with emphasis on the ones in the past 12 months. It may prove a point. I wouldn't be such a chronic whiner if my voice actually mattered sometimes.

Consider that under the circumstances, outright admitting to breaking the rules, as opposed to leveraging a technicality to allow the heat of the moment to settle and give me time to organize my defense, would have likely ended worse for me.
Worgilisk wrote: Okay, some points to bring up...;
1) With this being so soon after you were seen using a RP race you hadn't been whitelisted for, and then making a whitelist application for a Protean (which is and was mentioned to be a 'hard no'), you *really* could've picked a better time to try and make another staff application.
2) Can't say I'm the biggest fan of your answer to the second question; the idea that you'd intervene without a second thought to address an ahelp that involves you can raise unwanted complications.
3) Really can't figure out if you're bringing up that list of current and ex-admins up in a negative or positive light... and if it's negative, trying to shame admins whilst trying to join the same team they are or were in isn't really going to help you.
4) It was already announce in the Citadel Discord that were aren't looking to hire on more staff at the moment, so even without the other points I mentioned your application would still likely be denied because of that.
1: It was done as a proof of concept and BlackMajor was aware of it before it happened, but had to go to sleep before I could fully confirm it. I have discord logs on request.
2: I misread the question as what should an admin do if they're brought into a situation that needs intervention. I'll post a correction below this response.
3: I'm bringing up the list of admins to point out that, in my experience, all the admins have had significantly varying administrative styles, but all followed the general guideline as mentioned. The list contains both Poojawa, whose head I've called for multiple times, and Theoun, who has all my respect. It's a theatricism, not a power play.
4: I'm not on the discord, and even if I were, I have absolutely no qualms for leaving an app on the backburner until time comes again. Denying it just because it came at the wrong time, rather than just letting it stand until the next round, seems unfair. Edit: Besides, knowing I've got an application active allows you to pay closer scrutiny to my actions and judge my merit over a longer period of time, rather than relying solely on memory, where the most negative points have the best chance of being remembered.

Recantation of Question 2:
Like in question 4, it depends on the admin. If other admins are available, calling them to judge is a better option, however the perfect admin would be capable of impartially judging both the other players and themselves. Of course, there being no perfect admin, the old mantra must be observed: you judge others by their actions and yourself by your intentions.
Last edited by kfive on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinz000

Post by kevinz000 »

yeah okay lying to admins is about the worst thing you can do. Just admit you were playing due to the href exploit, don't lie about it. You want to be staff and you make it so we can't even trust you? Bad.

Improvedname

Post by Improvedname »

I asked you explain why, you were a protean and you said, because i can select it from the character screen, which i responded if you were whitelisted for it, and you said apperantly. Instead of telling the truth to a moderator that you were testing a href exploit for black you made it sound off like you were abusing a exploit which in that case would have you gotten banned if i didnt read what blackmajor said on adminchat, you lied to me so you could play a species that you aren't allowed to play.

Followed up by a whitelist app for "all species" which you only filled the template for proteans, which we both know it was gonna be denied pretty much

Then shortly followed up by this admin applicaion as we both know admins dont have whitelist restrictions, which shows your true intention.

You just want to play as a protean nothing more.

This gets a big fat no from me
Attachments
unknown-94-1.png
unknown-130-1.png
unknown-137.png
unknown-109.png
Last edited by Improvedname on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

kfive

Post by kfive »

Improvedname wrote: You just want to play as a protean nothing more.
I most definitely want to play as a protean. However, as the following quote from deathride demonstrates - keeping in mind the RP server didn't even exist in this form at the time - there is definitely more to it than that. And as your very own post, now deleted, demonstrates: you had absolutely no problem with it. To sum up all the images you've posted as evidence, I wanted to play as Protean and discovered an HREF exploit in the process. Telling you that I had permission to do it however, would have been an outright lie. See picture number two for the minutae of the technicality. Remember to keep in mind, playing as a protean is bad because somebody decided it was, not because I'm some sort of powergaming sociopath who used it for ultimate greytide.

deathride58 wrote: Additionally, you have like fifty fucking denied applications on top of poor behavioral history. How many applications of yours do we have to deny for you to get the hint?
This would be the fourth, but DR's point comes across. This is not the first time it was done, but considering how the ingame situation was mishandled, I had once again a reason to try. By the way, I'm still waiting on that list of notes in the past year.

Improvedname

Post by Improvedname »

That comment was before i know you lied to me about even having permission, which shows zero truth from you whats expected from an admin

You openly admitted the whole reason you *showed* the href exploit is to play protean, which shows your selfish needs
Last edited by Improvedname on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

kfive

Post by kfive »

Improvedname wrote: That comment was before i know you lied to me about even having permission, which shows zero truth from you whats expected from an admin

You openly admitted the whole reason you *showed* the href exploit is to play protean, which shows your selfish needs
But I didn't lie to you about having permission. I told you that I'd shown Major the exploit and that he knew it. Indeed, I told him I was going to try something before I even attempted the exploit.
At this point Major goes to sleep, the next round begins with Lucifer being a proper Protean. A few hours into toying with the character later, Major reappears and asks me (note the timestamps):

The rest is history.

Edit: I'd like to be shown where in this sequence of events I screwed up.
Edit2: Got to go for a while, I'll be back to continue this enjoyable discussion in a bit.
Last edited by kfive on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Improvedname

Post by Improvedname »

Last edited by Improvedname on Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.