shaft miner ban (main)

kitsun

shaft miner ban (main)

Post by kitsun »

BYOND Name:

Kitsun

Reason Banned:

ban from miner for consistantly ignoreing spawn text and being a hunter. when confronted Jecca said \'im a subclass of miner , deal with it\'\n Consistent history of not mining to instead simply hunt megafauna while also ignoring the cries for help from another miner. When confronted, was hostile and dismissive. "Please understand that rule 4 requires you put in a minimal amount of effort towards the requirements of your role. As a miner, you need to gather materials for the station."

Admin who banned:

Geemiesif

Length Banned:

1 month

Appeal Reason:

i'd like to point out a few things.

1. "consistently ignoring spawn text and being a hunter"
yes, I hunt. it is what I find enjoyable and nor should it be a issue to anyone else. I even ask every time I spawn into the game as a shaft miner, to other miners, "hey, do you mind if I kill megas?" if the response is yes, I proceed, if the question is ignored, I proceed, if the answer is no, I get a job change or cryo. I see nothing wrong with that.

2. "when confronted jecca said 'im a subclass miner, deal with it'"

yes, but you never ahelped me about it, that was said in ghost chat after being killed by bubblegum who I failed to disable with watcher wing. I stuck around for a good few minutes, the ahelp could've been issued at any time between when I died and logged off.

3. "consistent history of not mining to instead simply hunt megafauna" + "Please understand that rule 4 requires you put in a minimal amount of effort towards the requirements of your role. As a miner, you need to gather materials for the station"

I never ignore mining ores, in fact when I came back to station after killing hierophant I had enough to keep the station nice and full on ores for the rest of the shift, nearly 2000 points worth, if I recall correctly. I don't outright ignore gathering ores, if I see something that wont be a hassle to get, I'll get it. simple as that.

4. "-while also ignoring the cries for help from other miners"

im sorry? if there were then it was lost under the abundance of "you hit mob with x" text constantly flooding my chat. however, I will not ignore the fact that YES I saw a dead miner, yes I acknowledged their location and before then I diddnt have hierophant club, I had intended to get it, come back, and teleport them back to station with it, though I had also assumed they had a clone scan. after that I had forgotten to grab them. to this, I apologize, I forget some things when im distracted with other tasks, and yes, that I cant really wiggle my way out of being in trouble for.

5. "when confronted, was hostile and dismissive"

...hostile? when? how? I know I can be a little miffed when getting killed by megafauna but.. I know i wasn't hostile to anyone. dismissive? again, you had plenty of time to issue an ahelp ping to me before i logged off, but i simply said "im going to go play another game" can you really blame me though? i wasn't going to sit around for possibly an hour and a half just for another round to start and.. rinse and repeat. i wanted to play other things.

in all honesty, yeah, there was an issue with me not saving other people from lavaland. yeah, i could've taken that guy back to station. but a month ban just feels like too much for what really wasn't that much of an issue that it was made out to be. if i could at the very least ask for it to be looked over and possibly lowered, i would much appreciate that, and my sincere apologies.

geemiesif

Re: shaft miner ban (main)

Post by geemiesif »

The key of this is:

When you are going directly against the spawn text it is an issue. Just like any other kind of spawn text in the game
'You are the Shaft Miner.
As the Shaft Miner you answer directly to the quartermaster. Special circumstances may change this.
To speak on your departments radio, use the :h button. To see others, look closely at your headset.
Remember, you are a miner, not a hunter. Hunting monsters is not a requirement of your job, the only requirement of your job is to provide materials for the station. Don't be afraid to run away if you're inexperienced with fighting the mining area's locals. ''

Quoting ' "hey, do you mind if I kill megas?" if the response is yes, I proceed, if the question is ignored, I proceed, if the answer is no, I get a job change or cryo. I see nothing wrong with that. '
''Remember, you are a miner, not a hunter.'' You basically say you are going to cryo out if you cant do your special subclass of miner.

Until that ORM is nice and full of all kinds of ore, you arent done with your regular job. Once you got that done , as far as I feel ? Go hunt kill everything, get all that power loot , trophies and such. By full of ore , I mean the full spectrum . I cant even count how many times I have seen miners demand upgrades on orms and such before they bring up the basics.

ICly you are hired by NT to make sure that the station has more than enough materials to upgrade to t3 parts , print anything in an emergency and sell if needed.

Flat out Jecca? You cant balance the idea of Mining vs hunting. I might think of lifting this in 2 weeks depending on your reply, but as it stands right now I am not lifting it early. The thing you should know before I put this in place I discussed it at length with other admins.

kitsun

Post by kitsun »

alright, yeah.. I can do that, but just hear me out, the hierophant club both allows the user to teleport from anywhere back to wherever the beacon is, which I always put on station in cargo, for easy access. as well, it acts as a mining tool, chewing through rock faster than any mech could manage.

hierophant is extremely easy to kill, once the watcher wing is acquired. meaning, if I can get that, then that's basically my mining quota immediately a guaranteed success.

but if that's avoiding the point, then yeah, I can see how there's a few issues with my ways of doing things. im just a fan of speed and fun, chewing through one rock at a time isn't exactly either of those things, granted, there are different ways of medicating this, I just prefer the most fun option being the crusher and... blitzing everything I see.

I do feel there's a balance to be had when it comes to killing and mining, you just have to respect the strategies of going about it.

if there's absolutely no chance of middle ground, then don't bother lightening the ban, I wouldn't want to play shaft miner that way, its not what I would call entertaining or fun.

kitsun

Post by kitsun »

never have I had the station beg me for ores when I hunt, because I'm skilled enough to do both things at a time.

im really not seeing how this is an issue, sure im not getting as much if I were to focus on it but its still there and in considerable ammounts to be tolerated by other crew apparently. I don't see why It shouldn't be tolerated by you.

geemiesif

Post by geemiesif »

I want you to mine first before fighting megafuana. If thats unacceptable just wait out the ban.

kitsun

Post by kitsun »

geemiesif wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:16 pm
I want you to mine first before fighting megafuana. If thats unacceptable just wait out the ban.
there really wouldn't be a difference if I were to mine first as opposed to mining and hunting.

kitsun

Post by kitsun »

if ANYTHING im moving around a lot more and therefore seeing a lot more valuable ores, than if I were slowly trudging though rock like normal, I end up getting just about every ore while im down there killing things, which other miners would return with just a bag full of a few types but mostly just iron.

kitsun

Post by kitsun »

really I feel like this is nitpicking at this point.

plenty of people do exactly what I do and ive never seen them get bapped for it, so I feel like this is just directed towards me for some reason, though that would be rather upsetting to assume.

you cant possibly expect everyone to care about the roundstart text if it means they're going to have more fun in doing what they wanna do.

if hunting is such an issue, why do megafauna remain available at roundstart then?

you cant just hammer someone for wanting to enjoy a game they want to play, while not upsetting anyone but those who feel like they should be directly offended, even then, its petty.

as far as I understand the citadel code is constantly being tinkered and thrown around, if such a freedom is given to a player to do something like what I do, why allow it? why does the crusher have to be available at roundstart?

also a few cents i want to throw in on this, the round the ban was issued i had stocked the station full of ores to last them plenty long enough to get through the entire round, and i had even asked geemisif if they could spawn in the missing megafauna, which they agreed and had spawned bubblegum and three colossi. this means they accepted the fact i hunt and had even been generous enough to allow me to kill what i wanted to kill, which had only added to the fun. so it really, really confuses me why im being hammered on for this, and makes me wonder if its directed at me specifically. you would not nitpick this hard for anyone else, would you?

geemiesif

Post by geemiesif »

I did spawn in things yes , the thing that got me to the point of dropping the hammer was the fact you left someone who did ask for help dead to go fight fauna , someone who did ask for help and when confronted 'im a subclass of miner deal with it'

kitsun

Post by kitsun »

I diddnt hear the cries, there were other things flooding my screen at the time, I don't pay attention to every comm I see.

yes I saw the miner, but had forgotten them

this no longer has to do with me gathering ores at this point, its about a dead guy who I diddnt save

tell me which rule(s) it was that I broke so I can learn better from real mistakes. not the miner rules, nothing was broke there, and ive already been ranting about it, so don't try to tack that on.

the 'im a subclass miner, deal with it' was said in ghost chat, had it been an ahelp, I would've been more serious.