Staff Application: EpigraphZero

EpigraphZero

Staff Application: EpigraphZero

Post by EpigraphZero »

BYOND ckey: EpigraphZero
Character name: Rick Stessel./Klaus Renard
Discord username (+user id): Steiner#8596
How long have you played on Citadel?: Current stint's been around 8 months. Played now and then about a year before that.

How long have you played SS13?: 6-7 years.
What is your timezone/general hours of activity?: GMT, but I'm a freelancer with a sporadic sleep schedule so I'm around most of the time.
Previous SS13 related admin experience: I've been mod/admin on both Baystation and Polaris, and I was one of the founders/Admins of the more short-lived Eros station. 
Previous non-SS13 related admin experience: Was an admin on a Minecraft server in like, 2011. Don't reckon that counts for much at this point.
Current administrators who have agreed to support your application:
Reason for application: Been playing here a while and, while I initially found the atmosphere somewhat distasteful given my HRP background, it grew on me. I've met a lot of great players, but I've also met my fair share of shitters and griefers. Often when there are no members of staff online to deal with them. I'd like the ability to give back to the community by culling the undesirables and maintaining the environment that makes Citadel so pleasantly unique. My intentions are to both reduce the workload in dealing with shitty players, and improve general response quality for everyone playing. 

Below you will be required to describe how you would handle a handful of scenarios that may or may not require admin intervention.
For every scenario, describe your personal opinion of the intentions of the player(s), whether you think you should intervene, and how you would initiate an intervention with the player(s) if you decide to.

There are technically no "correct" answers for this, but you will be judged on how you respond to these questions.
You observe two players having a fist-fight in the bar. Player 1 puts Player 2 into critical condition, and then Player 1 quickly leaves the bar to go heal them-self. Checking their attack logs, you find that neither of them had any interaction before they started fighting. Checking their say logs however, you discover that both of them got in a verbal confrontation that got very heated, and that Player 2 both initiated the confrontation and threw the first punch. How do you proceed?
I would consider this an IC issue provided nobody ahelped in about it. It became a personal issue of self-defense for Player 1 the moment Player 2 decided to make it into a physical altercation, and should thus be dealt with by sec. If Player 1 was the one who had started the fight I'd consider it more worthy of a bwoink/note, however. As the situation stands, I see it as P2 making it an issue that led to a natural, if not excessive, conclusion. It would be important to take a closer look at the chat logs to see if it was a natural segue into a conflict or some kind of randomly directed hatred. If it appears to be a metagrudge situation then it should be treated with more gravity.  If the two have a history together or are struggling to separate IC and OOC interactions, then they should be given a timeout to talk things through and resolve whatever differences they have. A note should be left for both players explaining the situation. If they cannot resolve their differences, then both should be warned not to let their OOC differences spill into their IC interactions, even if that means keeping away from one another. If the situation continues to persist for rounds beyond that incident, then I'd suggest banning the party that most frequently instigates the conflict.

You observe one player acting suspiciously and decide to watch them. While watching, you discover that they are a new player with less than a day of time on the server. You also discover that they haven't said anything for the entire round. Their contents include a full set of tools, and not much else. While watching they spend their time breaking into unsecure areas like the bar back room, hydroponics, the chapel office, EVA. How do you proceed?
I would check their antag status to see if they were simply greytiding or just fulfilling their role in an unimaginative way. If they were not antagonists, I'd send them a PM asking if they were aware of the server's rules, and generally quizzing them on their intent. If the player was simply a newbie unfamiliar with the server culture or the game itself, I'd direct them to a wiki, server rules, as well as give them general advice on the game, server, and rules on a 1-to-1 basis. I'd also explain to them why what they were doing was frowned upon. After that I'd feel a slap on the wrist would be appropriate. Provided they'd learn from it and stop the shittery, I'd consider that case closed.
If, however, the person ignores me or acts abrasively and makes it clear that they're well aware of their own negative actions and was merely doing it for the sake of grief, then I'd check to see if any other administrators were online and consult with them before handling a ban. If there were no other staff members around, I'd issue a ban and leave a note explaining the circumstances, making a point to discuss the player with other admins at a later point.

You observe Player 1 who is a scientist building a combat mech. When they're finished, they allow Player 2 who is their friend and an assistant to come and take the combat mech out of the department. Later, Player 2 gets into a fight with security over the possession of the combat mech, and decides to try killing the security players but fails and is killed by security instead. How do you proceed?
The most logical course of action is to check antagonist status on both players first. If Player 1 was not an antag then I'd absolutely bwoink them asking why they made the mech to begin with. There are a valid reasons for this, for example they could've been ordered to by a senior member of staff. If that checks out, I'd ask why they thought it appropriate to hand over a highly powerful combat mech to a low-ranking member of staff. If he was just stupid, then I'd give him a warning telling him not to do that in future and a note on his record. If it was just to grief, or if they ignore my queries, I'd slap them with a ban. If they are both antags, then I wouldn't see an inherent issue with the mech being passed along to a conspirator (it would be worth checking their say logs to see the exchange that led up to it, however). That being said, murderbone for the sake of it is pretty goddamn shitty, so I'd check the objectives of Player 2. I'd bwoink them for their reasoning and, if it's sufficiently reasoned (needing to be the only survivor or escapee, for example), I'd let them go. If they just did it because they were an antag and wanted to, then a temp antag ban might be in order, as well as a general bit of advice about not slaughtering the crew without good cause. If they aren't an antag I'd ask them to explain themselves, then ban then when they fail to explain themselves. Slaughtering sec in a combat mech as an assistant non-antag is intolerable behavior and should not be encouraged. If they were non-antag metabuddies doing it for shits and giggles, then bans for both would be appropriate because that kind of nonsense shouldn't be considered acceptable. If Player 1 was an antag and Player 2 wasn't, I would not hold Player 1 accountable for the carnage Player 2 caused. A non-antag player should know not to start firing off a gun even if a shady-looking fella hands it to him.

Last edited by EpigraphZero on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tekoro

RE: Staff Application: EpigraphZero

Post by Tekoro »

+1, They'd make a great addition imo

Cabbose

Post by Cabbose »

+1 "Culling the undesirables"

Ruby Flamewing

Post by Ruby Flamewing »

+1 RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK
Also mainly because good answers that are to the point and precise. If you make it, don't go Demoham on the job, you'll get burnt like burning soup in Runescape.

As in, you wonder where you went absolutely wrong in life to manage THAT level of fucking up.
I dunno where I was going with that. Just don't go balls to the wall if you get on as staff, it'll wear you out after a while. TURTLE AND THE HARE, follow that story's point, yes. Somewhat. I dunno.

Hope you make it, mate.
It is only waffer thin.

Kenzie

Post by Kenzie »

i have no idea who you are tbh
ex-headmin

Kersakof

Post by Kersakof »

Kinda same on Kenzie's boat.

deathride58

Post by deathride58 »

Doing a quick check, your Byond account was created in 2015, which discredits your claims of having played SS13 for 6-7 years. I'm also unable to find any trace of your history of being a staff member on Bay, Eros, or Polaris, as searching your ckey in the forums and discord servers of those servers returns no results whatsoever. Do you have any older Byond accounts from the past?

Also, I'd hate to be that guy, but "Culling the undesirables" combined with what seems like a strict HRP background kinda rubs off the wrong way, considering Citadel is more or less an LRP server with the current playerbase.

EpigraphZero

Post by EpigraphZero »

deathride58 wrote: Doing a quick check, your Byond account was created in 2015, which discredits your claims of having played SS13 for 6-7 years. I'm also unable to find any trace of your history of being a staff member on Bay, Eros, or Polaris, as searching your ckey in the forums and discord servers of those servers returns no results whatsoever. Do you have any older Byond accounts from the past?

Also, I'd hate to be that guy, but "Culling the undesirables" combined with what seems like a strict HRP background kinda rubs off the wrong way, considering Citadel is more or less an LRP server with the current playerbase.
Ah yeah sorry, I've been using this CKEY for so long that I kind of forgot I'd switched. My old username was ReadingSteiner. Though I did help found Eros under the EpigraphZero CKEY, so it's strange you wouldn't find anything. You can ask the host there about me, if you'd like to pursue that further.

As for the strict HRP background, while that is how I got into the game I've played on Citadel for long enough and adjusted to it well enough that I'd know better than to try and enforce the culture of my server background on to this place. While it's true I have good character interactions here, I'm well aware that Citadel on a whole is MedRP at best.
Last edited by EpigraphZero on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vincent Airin

Post by Vincent Airin »

Sadly, after a review of recent incidents and character history, couples with the inability to confirm your administration history, I can not endorse this application for administration. In fact I would actually go so far as to say that it should be rejected entirely.

JDM II, 12/05/2017 5:00pm est

EpigraphZero

Post by EpigraphZero »

Vincent Airin wrote: Sadly, after a review of recent incidents and character history, couples with the inability to confirm your administration history, I can not endorse this application for administration. In fact I would actually go so far as to say that it should be rejected entirely.

JDM II, 12/05/2017 5:00pm est
You can just go and and ask anyone from Bay or Polaris, "Hey, was ReadingSteiner a prominent player back when and also was he part of your staff?" and they'll say yes. You can go and ask WereBear, the host of Eros, "Hey, did EpigraphZero/Steiner help found your server after branching off with you guys from Virgo after the environment became too hostile?" and he will tell you yes. As far as I can understand the only thing that would create an inability of you confirming my administration history is you simply not attempting to.

I'm confused by the strong-worded nature of your comment, I don't understand what I have done to necessitate such a firm reaction as you wanting to reject my application entirely. So far it's either been positive comments from the people who know me, and indifference from the people who do not. I'm especially confused as to what recent incidents you may be referring to. I'm also unsure what you mean by "character history", as it's always been my #1 priority to create engaging and dynamic characters that develop on the fly based on interactions with others. I'm especially proud of my current character, RP is something I take great joy in doing, and I'm well aware the RP server is sorely in need of attention and staff, so I'm somewhat disappointed that you think there might be a fundamental problem with the way I play. 

I made this application with the intention of helping the community avoid obnoxious griefers, and also improve quality for players who were more interested in RP-oriented play, so it's saddening that you would have such a visceral reaction against me and not actually explain why.